Minutes – 14th May 2012

                                                                                                                        Sheet 1589
 
Minutes of the Blean Annual Parish Council Meeting held at the Village Hall, School Lane, Blean on Monday 14th May 2012.
 
Those Present:    Cllrs: W. Leetham (Chairman); H. Samuelson (Vice-Chairman); G King; C. Sturgeon; C. Dunster; P. Hutt; C. Harris; B. Flack
 
Also present: Ward Cllr. Mrs H. McCabe entered the meeting at 8.35pm, after attending CCC meeting, and four members of the public.
 
1. Apologies:  Ward Cllr. John Gilbey – CCC meeting.
PCSO Mike Bradbury – another engagement.
 
The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and, for the benefit of those who had not attended a Parish Council meeting before, explained the fire drill and location of the toilets.
 
The Chairman then handed over the meeting to Vice-Chairman Cllr. Samuelson for the matter of election of the Chairman.
 
2. Election of Chairman
Cllr. Leetham was proposed to stand as Chairman by Cllr. Samuelson, seconded by Cllr. Hutt – all agreed.
 
3. Election of Vice-Chairman
Cllr. Samuelson was proposed to stand as Vice-Chairman by Cllr. Leetham, seconded by Cllr. Sturgeon – all agreed.
 
The Chairman and Vice-Chairman both signed the Acceptance of Office forms which were counter-signed by the clerk.
 
4. Appointment of Officers
Roles and Responsibilities of Councillors were agreed as follows:
(a) Highways – Cllr. Samuelson
(b) Buses – Cllr. Leetham
(c) Footpath Wardens – Cllrs. Sturgeon and King
(d) Planning – Clerk
(e) Village Hall Representatives – Cllrs. Sturgeon and King
(f) Tree Warden – Cllr. Samuelson
(g) Leggett Charity – Cllrs. Leetham and Samuelson
(h) KALC Representative – Cllr. Leetham
 
5. Changes to the Register of Members’ Interests
No changes were reported.
Declarations of Interest in Matters to be discussed.
Cllrs. Sturgeon and King reaffirmed their interest as Hall Management Committee members. Cllr. Sturgeon also declared an interest in agenda item 9.3 as two of her grandchildren are enrolled on the Sailing Week.
                                                                                                                        Sheet 1590
 
6. Adoption of Standing Orders
Adoption of the Standing Orders for Local Councils as laid down by NALC.
Proposed by Cllr. Leetham, seconded by Cllr. King, all agreed.
 
7. Matters raised by the public
7.1 Resident, Mr Letts, asked the clerk if any accounts had been brought to the meeting to which she replied that the audited accounts and approved Annual Return of year ending March 2011 were available, also a spreadsheet for 2011/2012 for all payments and receipts and an unaudited report for year end March 2012 which had been printed from the Sage accounts software programme. She explained that the 2011/2012 accounts were at the accountants for the internal audit and would be produced at the June meeting for approval and the Annual Return signed in order to be sent to the Audit Commission by the date required. The 2010/2011 audited accounts and Annual Return were declined by Mr Letts as was the 2011/2012 spreadsheet so the clerk explained that the unaudited report, which Mr Letts retained, showed accumulative figures for the net wages, PAYE and NIC nominal entries. Mr Letts asked that it be minuted that the figures in the accounts were incorrect. Resident, Mrs H. Letts also retained a copy.
7.2 Mrs Letts reported that footpaths CB18A NE, CB26 NE and CB19 Chapel Lane to Abbotts farm were all overgrown. Clerk to report to the Public Rights of Way Officer.
7.3 Mr Letts required clarification regarding the £10,000 set aside for the village hall.  This will be provided.
7.4 Mrs A. Letts, asked the clerk why, in the minutes, are the Councillors and residents referred to by their titles (i.e.Cllrs, Mr, Mrs) but Binny (owner of the Londis shop) was referred to as Binny. The clerk replied that as he was always, and liked to be known, as Binny and she didn’t know what his surname was. Cllr. King replied that his name was Mr Bintesh Amin.
 
8. Minutes of the last Meeting
The minutes of 16th April 2012 were approved and accepted as a true record of the meeting.
Proposed by Cllr. Harris, Seconded by Cllr. Flack, all agreed.
Signed by the Chairman.
 
9. Matters Arising
(a) Re 6.6 Repair and Renewal of village noticeboards and map Cllr. King reported that he had spoken to the owner of the property where there is a noticeboard on the main road and he is quite happy to have it replaced. Cllr. Samuelson said that he has measured the noticeboard at the school and ordered the wood for repair.
(b) Re 6.5 Emergency outdoor lighting Cllr. Sturgeon is to contact the Hallmark inspector to identify the specifications of the lighting needed in order to obtain a quote.
(c) Cllr. Sturgeon reminded the meeting of the parking bays, raised ramps and fire exits that need repainting.
Cllr. Flack suggested that specifications are drawn up for the repainting and emergency lighting requirements.
                                                                                                                        Sheet 1591
(c) Village Hall Direction Signs Cllr. Leetham reported that he had met with Marie Lampkin (KCC) who said that the new signs cannot be attached to lighting posts. The one to be placed next to the bus stop on Blean Common will need a new post as will the one in Tyler Hill Road by Vicarage Lane footpath as the post already there is owned by Canterbury City Council.
Cllr. Sturgeon thanked both County Cllr. John Simmonds and Andy Burgess for their work on getting the signs. The clerk was asked to contact Marie Lampkin to ask her to proceed with the signs.
9.1 Public Paths and Rights of Way – It was noted that the recent rainfall had caused rapid plant growth and Cllr. Samuelson suggested that the owner of the hedge on the A290 at the Rough Common end should be sent a letter now instead of waiting until the customary July to remind him to cut the hedge.
The Councillors were reminded to let the clerk know the list of jobs that the KCC Highway gang could be asked to do which Ken Waddington, village handyman, will discuss with them when he meets with them on 6th June.
9.2 Recreation ground Cllr. Leetham reported that the annual safety inspection report from Wicksteeds had been received in which it has been noted that a lot of equipment has got rust and the rocket climber is near the end of its life. The safety matting needs replacing and the slide will need to be replaced in the future. Local builder, Paul Wells, is to be asked to provide a quote for breaking up the concrete around the base of the basketball post in order for safety rubber matting to be laid.
Cllr. Flack gave a report on the seeking of quotes and requirements for new play equipment. She had found a company based in Salisbury who produce wooden play equipment which is very reasonably priced. They also do the annual inspections and repairs. Cllr. Flack asked whether the Parish Council had a contract with Wicksteeds to which the Chairman confirmed it did not. Resident, Mrs H. Letts, said that money had been spent in the past on wooden play equipment which had not lasted long. Cllr. Flack replied that this was something that would have to be investigated in full before any action was taken.
Cllr. Leetham also spoke of the need for a youth shelter which Cllr. Sturgeon said there was lots of support for.
Cllr. Leetham suggested that Cllr. Flack go ahead and get in touch with the new company.
9.3 To approve £100 donation to Annual Sailing Week having clarified the situation it was proposed to give £100 donation.
Proposed by Cllr. Flack, seconded by Cllr. Hutt – all agreed.
9.4 Disabled Parking Bay at Shop Cllr. Leetham said that this had been discussed at the Joint Transportation Board and it had been recommended to make provision for one. There was a discussion on the effects this would have on an already ongoing parking problem in that area with it resulting in more people parking on the pavement opposite. It had already been minuted at the previous Parish Council meeting that County Cllr. Simmonds had said that there were no funds for bollards to be erected. On being asked where the disabled parking bay would be situated Cllr. Leetham said it would be the first bay by the shop. It was suggested that yellow lines should be asked for around the corner.
In regard to the recent planning application for the area behind the shops Cllr. King said that he had been asked by two residents to raise the matter of a stopping-off order in the part of Tyler Hill Road by the side of the shop. It was mentioned that in
                                                                                                                        Sheet 1592
the comments from the Parish Council in reply to the planning application it was stated that all contractor’s vehicles should be parked on site.
9.5 Disabled Access at Hall An email had been sent to all Councillors reporting that the wooden ramp used for disabled access is no longer ‘fit for purpose’ as it doesn’t abut the threshold. A lady tripped and fell whilst walking up the ramp and had alerted the Hall committee. The lady was treated and the incident reported in the BVHMC’s accident book. A discussion followed about the Disability access and fire safety issues and it was agreed to invite the Fire Safety Officer to visit the hall and give advice on these issues and also on the emergency lighting.
 
Ward Cllr. Hazel McCabe entered the meeting at 8.35pm.
Seapier Morgan Stud Cllr. McCabe reported that CCC Enforcement officers are still in negotiation. She had spoken to CCC David Kincaid regarding the additional emergency outside lights and he had said that as there are already two installed one more of a similar nature wouldn’t be a problem.
Cllr. McCabe said that at the last RAMP meeting it was proposed to give £10,000 to share between the parishes and this year it was expected that it would go towards the Jubilee celebrations.
The Parish Council agreed to donate the money they received to BVHMC to buy mugs for the children of the parish. The exact amount is yet to be advised.
9.6 Safety Issues on Blean Common Cllr. Leetham had passed on the letter he had received from Mr Bentley to County Cllr. John Simmonds.
There was a discussion on the issues raised in the letter, Cllr. Leetham had acknowledged the email and it was thought best to wait for Cllr. Simmonds’s response. The item is to be put on next month’s agenda.
 
Reports including Village Hall
10.1 Cllr. King gave the NHW report in which he said that it had been a very quiet period since his last report with only twenty two messages received from Kent Police or Trading Standards, mostly of an informative or advisory nature. No local crimes have been reported. There are ample funds to continue to administer the scheme.
10.2 Cllr. King also said it was probably about time to consider the replacement plaque being installed at the base of the village sign.The base needs to be replaced first. Local builder, Paul Wells, is to be asked for a quote.
10.3 Cllr. Dunster spoke of the Canterbury Visitor Centre being moved in the city centre.
10.4 Cllr. Samuelson asked who sets the bus fares, it was stated that it is Stagecoach.
10.5 Cllr. Harris said that he was impressed that a street lamp that had been reported as not working was fixed the next day.
10.6 Cllr. Sturgeon gave the BVHMC report (attached to the minutes).
With reference to the increase in hall hire charges Cllr. Leetham asked about the reduction for the Pre-school.
Cllrs. Sturgeon and King said that BVHMC have the prerogative to allow a reduction.
Cllr. Flack asked how many sessions are required to qualify as a regular hirer. Cllr. Sturgeon replied nine sessions a year.
On the matter of the hall extension Cllr. Sturgeon said that the building needed to be started by the end of March 2013 otherwise the grants won’t stand.
                                                                                                                        Sheet 1593
Cllr. Leetham asked for the Parish Council to have a formal reply to the letter sent to BVHMC regarding the transfer of the freehold.
 
10.7 Cllr. Leetham drew attention to two documents that Cllr. Gilbey had left for circulation – Canterbury Future Development and Canterbury Development Requirements Study.
 
11. Correspondence
All correspondence and emails received
These included:
Agenda – Development Management Committee – 1st May
Clerks Conference 2012 – 25th May – Lenham Community Centre
Wicksteeds – Annual Inspection Report and Risk Assessment
Clerks & Councils Direct – May 2012
CPRE – Fieldwork – Spring 2012
Parish Forum Minutes
Kent Police Authority – Consultation on the New Kent Policing Model
Canterbury Development Requirements Study – Non Technical Summary Jan 2012
Canterbury Future Development
ACRK – Rural News – Issue 116
 
Emails reference:
KCC Highway maintenance
Disabled wooden ramp
Village Hall signs
Leak in hall roof
Big Blean Walk – 4th May
From Mr Tim Bentley – Safety issues on Blean Common
 
12. Planning Applications – The following applications had been received and circulated to all Cllrs.
1. CA/11/01944/FUL – Erection of two-storey extension to provide fitness centre and studio, new four badminton court sports hall – Sports Centre, UKC – No objection
2. CA/12/00458/FUL – Erection of conservatory – 23 Tile Kiln Hill
3. CA/12/00607/FUL – Retention of touring caravan – 34 Hillside Paddocks, Blean Hill – No objection
4. CA/12/00591/FUL – Demolition of existing side extension and construction of new dwelling – Land adjacent to 29 Tile Kiln Hill – No objection
5. CA/12/00593/FUL – Erection of enclosure to create 3 indoor multi-purpose courts – University of Kent – Parkwood Road – No objection
6. CA/12/00496/FUL – First-floor side extension – 9 Mount Pleasant – No objection
7. CA/12/00532/FUL – Erection of detached dwelling – Land adjacent to 120 Blean Common – in circulation
8. CA/12/00735/LUP – Certificate of proposed development for a single-storey rear extension – Gorsefield, Giles Lane – in circulation
 
 
 
                                                                                                                        Sheet 1594
Decision Notices
1. CA/11/01043/FUL – Erection of detached building as holiday let – 8 Honey Hill – GRANTED
2. CA/12/00225/FUL – Application for new planning permission to replace
CA/07/1726/FUL for the erection of detached dwelling – Land adjacent to
6 Chestnut AvenueGRANTED
3. CA/11/01944/FUL – Erection of two-storey extension to provide fitness centre and
studio, new four badminton court sports hall – Sports Centre, UKC – GRANTED
4. CA/12/00458/FUL – Erection of conservatory to front elevation of dwelling – 23, Tile Kiln Hill – GRANTED
 
13. Approval for invoice payments and signing of cheques
Banking details for April 2012
           
Cheques to be signed
Chq. 002262 – Cutters Garden Services – Strim 3 x footpaths                 £ 80.00          
Chq. 002263 – Mr K Waddington – Handyman’s Wages April 2012      £ 97.13
Chq. 002264 – Mrs D Horswell – Clerks Salary April 2012                     £661.20
Chq. 002265 – Mrs D Horswell – Petty Cash April 2012                          £ 27.26
Chq. 002266 – HMRC – PAYE & NIC April 2012                                   £ 33.55
Chq. 002267 – BVHMC – Hall Rent April 2012                                        £ 10.00
Chq. 002268 – KCPFA – Annual Subscription                                         £ 20.00
Chq. 002269 – KALC – Clerks Conference 50% contribution                £ 36.00
DD – Serco – Waste Collection – April 2012                                              £ 32.88
                                                                                               
Total               £998.02
 
Money Received in               
CCC Precept 2012/2013                                                                             £14,500.00
CCC – Concurrent Funding 2012/2013                                                      £ 8206.37
 
Bank Statement as at 14th May 2012
Current Account – £2000
Business Reserve Account £32,508.53.
                                                                                                           
14. Any other business
 
14.1 Next meeting is on 11th June 2012.
 
There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.15pm.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Date     _______________                 Signature     ______________________________ 
 
BVHMC report for the Blean Parish Council meeting 14th May 2012.
 
The KCC Capital Grant for community and village hall award of £50,000 on 12th April has affirmed Phase 1 project and further bid applications are in the process to secure all the funding before the build can begin.
 
Rent charges for the hall were reviewed on 30th April by Hall Management and an increase, the first for 6 years, was agreed @ .50p per hour – from 1st May. The hourly charge is now £5.50 for regular users, with an increased rate for dance/therapy groups which are run as a business. Pre-School (Registered Charity) receive a discounted rate as the main hirer.
 
Level 2 Hallmark check list will be undertaken ASAP and applied for when completed, this is specifically based on Health & Safety and a comprehensive Risk Assessment of the Hall and surrounds. 
 
Changes will be made to the central heating thermostats during the summer months to make them more programmable and tamper proof in order to save rising energy costs, as the last gas bill was £300.00.
 
A monthly check of all Hall utilities and circuits is undertaken by the RP to ensure that all equipment is in good working order.
 
The hall is currently operating a waiting list for potential regular hirers due to the demand on weekday sessions, Blean needs Phase 1 urgently to fulfil local demand.
 
The coffee morning on 28th April was a great success with all ages attending for haircuts, Digital switchover information, as well as refreshments, with the presentation of £1,000 from Stewart Ross, the first instalment of the £4,000 pledged of profit from sales of Hello Eiffel.
Digital UK want to film Blean Village Hall and our DOE Gold Award volunteers for a press release/Case Study, with cascading information about digital television switchover and support for local people. This would take the form of a chat to capture a short video discussion and photographs. They wish to highlight the unique inter-generational benefit and nature of the Raise the Roof community support work and service offered to older residents who came along to the special coffee morning about Digital retuning when Al and Rural Kent came to visit Blean, with the DOE student’s help. 
The Blean Heritage Museum has donated £2,000 since the beginning of 2012 thanks to Godfrey, part of their pledge of £5,000 towards the project.
Blean Pre-School are supporting the project with their “baker’s child” monthly donations to the project and sales of Hello Eiffel.
 
Friday film nights will be suspended until the autumn but Saturday morning pictures for the children will continue monthly as usual.
 
A member of a regular hall group had an accident by toppling off the external   ramp which is no longer fit for purpose. The accident was recorded in the accident book and this matter has been referred to the Parish Council by the Hall’s Responsible person with detailed information of the H & S guidelines for their immediate attention.
 
The Parish Council and all Hall users were alerted to the problem immediately and were warned not to use the existing ramp. Information about the use of any replacement ramp will be added to the hall hire agreement when the specification has been agreed and confirmed.
 
The Blossom Walk by kind invitation of Cllr Hazel McCabe was well supported yesterday and raised £130.51p, the sun shone, we picked the right day and    the weekend’s film shows raised £55.00.
 
The Raise the Roof Quilters have will finish the king size/reversible and really beautiful quilt this Wednesday evening and will be embarking on developing their skills to make a range of accessories and gifts to sell for the building project.
 
On June 3rd the whole village community is invited to celebrate H M The Queens Diamond Jubilee at a Raise the Roof community lunch on the recreation ground from mid-day onwards. Posters and information are just about to be launched, a marquee will seat 250-300 people with furniture borrowed from Blean School, Meadow Grange and others. Bring your own lunch but keep room for desserts, home-made cakes/afternoon teas, beer and wine tent, crown making, traditional games, live music and sweetie stall.
 
The Parish Church is holding their family service at 10am and they will join us at the community lunch afterwards.
 
Please come and join in this very special village occasion when the commemorative quilt, made especially for this event, will be raffled with further prizes of several quilted cushions offered. 
 
Carol Sturgeon
14.05.2012