Minutes – 14th April 2014

                                                                                                                      

Sheet 1699

 

Those Present:    Cllrs: W. Leetham (Chairman); B. Flack (Vice-Chairman);

G King; C. Dunster; H. Samuelson; C. Sturgeon; P. Hutt; Clerk D. Horswell

 

Also present: Ward Cllr. J. Gilbey and four members of the public.

 

1. Apologies for absence:  – Ward Cllr. B. Fitter; work commitments

 

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and explained the fire drill, fire exits and location of the toilets.

 

2. Changes to Register of Declarations of Interest and DPI in Matters to be discussed.

1. Cllr. Sturgeon and Cllr. King declared an interest as Village Hall Management Committee members in any matters to do with the village hall.

Cllr. Flack also declared an interest in agenda item 8.8 as Secretary of Friends of Blean Church.

 

3. Matters raised by the public

3.1 Mrs Audrey Kelk raised the matter of CB8 again which has trees down and a damaged stile.

The clerk explained that PROW had notified her that CB8 is not on the list of footpaths which KCC are responsible to maintain now. This has led to the Parish Council making enquiries as to who it can get to maintain the footpaths. An email had been sent to CCC requesting whether the Community Payback scheme would be able to assist in this task. No reply had been received. Ward Cllr. Gilbey will make enquiries.

Canterbury Ramblers and other charitable organisations are also to be contacted asking for their help. A list of land-owners who may be responsible for footpaths on their land is also to be compiled.

 

4. Reports from Ward and County Councillors

4.1 Ward Cllr. Gilbey gave a report on the following matters:

Local Plan – meeting on 24th April.
Draft Transportation Strategy
Flooding problems in the area
Extension of Kings Mile
Gaol Café tenders
Local Enterprise Partnership

 

5. Approval of the Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 10th March 2014

The minutes of the 10th March meeting were approved and accepted as a true record of the meeting.

Proposed by Cllr. Hutt, seconded by Cllr. Sturgeon and all Cllrs. present AGREED.

 

Sheet 1700

 

Matters arising

5.1: ref 9.1 – Stagecoach – Buses waiting time. Buses have been seen to be waiting at the layby in Rough Common now.

5.2:  ref 8.11 – Fire-assembly point notice – Cllr. Sturgeon reported that this will now be put up in an alternative place as it was dangerous being put on the slide.

5.3: ref 9.3 Canterbury directional sign on A290 – the clerk has reported that this sign is missing to KCC who are organising a replacement.

 

6. N.H.W. Report

Cllr. King had given his annual report to the Annual Parish Assembly meeting but had since had reports that a further two thefts had occurred at Blean Common and Hothe Court Farm.

 

7. Village Hall Report

Cllr. Sturgeon had nothing further to add from her annual report (attached to these minutes).

 

8. Matters Arising including:

8.1 Public Paths & Rights of Way

Nothing further to add from 3.1.

8.2 Recreation Ground inc. play equipment

a) The annual inspection and risk assessment from Wicksteeds has been carried out and the findings in the report were discussed:

Fort – safety issues – Cllr. Flack has checked with the suppliers and the fort has been built and erected according to the regulation safety standards
Mound – safety issues – it was decided to have ‘Risk Aware’ notices erected warning of the dangers of riding bikes on the mound
Redundant Wet Pour Area – protruding stub – ask KW to attend to it
Elephant Spring Mobile – replacement springs – order springs and have replaced by Wicksteeds.
Contact details sign – is to be re-located inside the Recreation Ground on the old baseball post

It was brought to the Council’s notice by a resident that two screws are missing on the Memorial Plaque – KW to replace them.

b) Hazel’s bench:

The Council agreed that it was a lovely bench and perfectly reflected Hazel’s dedication and devotion to the community. However, it was agreed that the supplier’s plaque which is located on the front of the bench detracts from the inscription in Hazel’s memory and request from the supplier that the plaque is removed and replaced in a more discreet position e.g. the side leg support or on the back leg. The clerk will email the supplier to request this.

Photograph:

It was decided by the Council that, at a later date, when the surrounding area is more established, that it would be appropriate to invite members of Hazel’s family,

 

Sheet 1701

 

members of the Parish Council and the supplier to have a photograph taken with the bench by the local press.

c) Purchase of picnic table:

This has been funded by KCC Cllr. John Simmonds members’ grant of £500 for which the Parish Council is very grateful.

Proposal to purchase the picnic table and have it assembled by the suppliers on the redundant wetpour area at a cost of £479:

Proposed by Cllr. Sturgeon, seconded by Cllr. King, all present agreed.

d) Cllr. Flack reported that the Council have received £3,000 in the form of a capital grant from CCC which will be used for pieces of outdoor adult gym equipment.

The Council is applying to Viridor for a grant to replace the slide and swings. The Council will need to supply funding to accompany this grant if successful. She explained that, if the swings and slide are replaced, there may be a short space of time between the disposal of the old ones and the erection of new ones while the old surface is taken out.

8.3 Electoral Review of Canterbury:

Blean Parish Council has put forward their recommendation in agreement with Hackington Parish Council. The proposed Ward would consist of Blean, Hackington, Rough Common and the University.

8.4. Parish Plan update:

Cllr. Flack reported that the first meeting of the Parish Plan committee took place on 19th March with positive contributions from all members. The next meeting is on 23rd April when members will be formulating the questionnaire.

8.5 Highway Issues:

Speeding:

Cllr. King reported that speed checks had been carried out recently with Police Officers and PCSO in attendance. Offending motorists have been dealt with by way of advisory letters from the Police. The Royal Oak pub has given permission for their car park to be used for the mobile speed camera.

Dog Mess:

It was agreed that it was a problem by owners who have no pride in their community. It was suggested that a notice should be put up warning that it can cause Toxocariasis in children.

8.6. Kevro Properties Correspondence

Following the Health and Safety report being sent to Canterbury City Council Environmental Health Department, Nick Maine has contacted the clerk to say that an inspection has been made of the area but he could only comment on the shops as he inspects Health and Safety at work. The fridges and freezers left behind the fishing tackle shop have been removed and the bin has been identified as needing to be secured.

The knocked down wall behind the Londis shop, occurred by a Londis lorry, was no reason for concern as it had fallen inwards and has since been repaired. The site of the garages has been referred to Building Control and Community Safety.

 

 

Sheet 1702

 

Building Control have responded by saying that they have visited the site and can see no trace of vermin, they have spoken to residents who have said that there have been no issues or antisocial behaviour with the garages as yet. The Community

Safety Unit work closely with KCC Community Wardens who monitor this area and, again, can see no issues at the present time.

 

8.7 Noticeboards

Cllr. Samuelson said that the noticeboard at the school has yet to be purchased.

It was suggested that a sign for the Memorial Field and the Village Hall should be put on the redundant pole by the old recycling area.

8.8 South and South East in Bloom – purchase of water butts

It was agreed to purchase 2 x 200 litre water butts at a cost of £59.92 (buy one get second for £19.97) – 50% to be paid by BVHMC.

 

9. Councillors’ Reports
9.1 Cllr. Dunster said how nice the flowerbeds look in front of the shops which KW has put log rolls around in readiness for planting.

9.2 Cllr. Samuelson  reported that he has met with Mr Robert regarding twinning and they have agreed to exchange emails on the subject.

9.3 Cllr. Leetham reported that there is a new bus timetable. The same service with two extra buses in the morning. An additional bus will leave Tyler Hill Road at 7am on Sunday mornings.

It is hoped the Transport Strategy will speed up the service.

A crash report map of Blean shows that no part of Blean has been without a crash.

A Radio Kent reporter has rode on the Crab and Winkle Way and reported on it. It is thought that at least six commuters use the route now.

The Draft Transport Strategy shows minor alterations affecting Blean.

 

10. Correspondence

All correspondence and emails have been circulated to all members including:

1. Electoral Review of Canterbury: Draft Recommendations

2. CPRE – Notice of AGM – 8th April – Thanington Resource Centre

3. Clerks & Councils Direct – March 2014

4. Kent Police and Ambulance Service free event – 2nd April – Holiday Inn, Ashford

North, Maidstone Road, Ashford.

5. Kent Police – Invitation to Canterbury District Rural Community Engagement

meeting – 13th May – 7pm in Littlebourne Village Hall – GK to attend

6. Letter from Mr Tems – concerns regarding the proposal by Kent College to put

the Kent College Cricket Pitch Field and adjoining farmland into the Local Plan

with a view to build up to 80 houses or student accommodation

7. Oast to Coast – Spring 2014

 

 

 

 

Sheet 1703

 

11. Planning Applications

The following applications have been received and circulated to all Cllrs. for comment.

1. CA/14/00089/ADV – Display of 2 No. internally illuminated fascia signs

(Retrospective application) – Woody’s Bar, UKC, Park Wood Road – no objection by

BPC – concerns about UKC applying for retrospective planning applications

2. CA/14/00418/FUL – Proposed rear extension to form a garden room with front

porch and minor internal alterations – Courtney Lodge, Chapel Lane – no objection by

BPC

3. CA/14/00405/FUL – Two-storey side and rear extension of dwelling and replacement

of detached garage – 14 School Lane – no objection by BPC

 

11.1 Decision Notices:

1. CA//13/01314/FUL Refurbishment and conversion of former agricultural

buildings to form 2 dwellings including demolition of milking shed. – Honey Hill Farm – GRANTED

2. CA/14/00094/FUL – Erection of detached dwelling – 114 Blean Common – GRANTED

3. CA/14/00160/FUL – Proposed first-floor side extension and proposed single-storey front extension – 10 Mount Pleasant – GRANTED

4. CA/14/00132/FUL – Change of use from garage workshop to annexe – 2 Tile Kiln

Hill – GRANTED

 

11.2 Tree Notices:

1. Cutting back of 3 Ash trees subject of TPO No 26 of 1990 to previous pruning points

 – 121 Blean Common

2. Notice of T.P.O. No 5, 2013 – Land adjacent to 53 Tile Kiln Hill – Confirmed

 

12. Approval for invoice payments and signing of cheques

Banking details for March 2014

Chq. 002458 – Dean & Chapter – Archives Storage                                 £    25.00

Chq. 002459 –            S Buchan – Tree & Ditch clearance on Rec Ground        £  185.00

Chq. 002460 – Meadow Grange Nurseries – Stakes                                  £    26.00

Chq. 002461 – CCC – Legal Fees for transfer & Lease                            £1250.00

Chq. 002462 – A M Designs – Fixings for bench                                       £  120.00

Chq. 002463 – Mr K Waddington – Handyman’s Wages Mar 2014        £  138.07

Chq. 002464 – HMRC – PAYE & NIC Mar 2014                                     £    41.90

Chq. 002465 – Mrs D Horswell – Petty Cash Mar 2014                            £    53.53

Chq. 002466 – BVHMC – Mar Hall Hire                                                   £    11.00       

Chq. 002467 – Mrs D Horswell – Clerks Salary Mar 2014                        £  668.56

Chq. 002468 – KALC – Annual Subscription                                            £  521.98

Chq. 002469 – Wicksteed – Annual Inspection & Risk Assessment         £  103.20

Chq. 002470 – Blean Machine Hire Ltd – Base for bench                        £  317.69

Chq. 002471 – Meadow Grange – Log Rolls & Grow Bags                      £  127.35

Sheet 1704

 

Chq. 002472 – Kevin Funnell – Internal Auditor                                      £  100.00

Bank Charges – Annual Safe Custody Deposit – 23/1/2014                     £    10.00

 

Total paid out            £3699.28

Paid in

KCC – Members Grant for picnic table                                                     £500.00

Total paid in              £500.00

          

Bank Statement as at 24th March 2014

Current Account – £2000

Business Reserve Account – £13,197.73

(Interest bearing account used to feed Current Account, when needed, to maintain a balance of £2000)

 

13. Date of next meeting

The next meeting is the Annual Parish Council meeting on 12th May at 7.30pm.

 

14 Any Other Business

14.1 Cllr. Leetham said that an application had been received from Mrs Hilary Cole to be considered as being co-opted onto the Parish Council as a Parish Councillor.

Proposed by Cllr. King, seconded by Cllr. Hutt, all present agreed.

14.2 Cllr. Leetham said that Blean Parish Council will be signing up to the Parish Charter.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.16pm..

 

 

Date     _______________                 Signature     ______________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BVHMC report for the Annual Parish Assembly on Monday 14h April 14

 

I am pleased to report that the Hall Management Committee continues to work together with hall users, the working party and fund raising volunteers,  + active collaboration with other local interest groups which strengthens our community base.

 

The annual calendar of social events provides a range of inclusive, socially based opportunities and interesting community events/occasions in and around the hall every single month, sometimes every single week, which attract large numbers of supporters, which is very heartening.

 

Their support, effort and commitment has safeguarded the future of the village hall enabling us to complete the Phase 1 extension and refurbishment project which started exactly a year ago in April 2013 and was almost completed by 2nd September 2nd at the start of the new school year.   We opened the hall despite the main toilets needing completion and just managed!  By October and the official opening the toilets were ready.

 

The local builder contracted to undertake the work fulfilled all our expectations and delivered the project on time over a 19 week working timescale.  The volunteer working party also excelled themselves by undertaking all the internal decorating work to a high professional finish under the leadership of Anne and Paul Clifford with their excellent team who worked tirelessly to get the job done.  They’re still working – putting up much needed toilet roll holders tonight as fund are available from a recent fund raising event to purchase them.

 

The building budget was exceeded by £15.000 (funded by BVHMC Trustee pledges to be repaid when funds allow) due to unexpected costs and Architect Instructions related to the state of the building and necessary upgrades of new systems/installation to satisfy building regs.   To say that it has made a difference to hall users and groups is an understatement and underestimate of the achievement felt by all.

 

The existing hall space was re-jigged, refurbished  and extended and is now fit for purpose to meet the needs of our growing community, regular and private hires, as a meeting place.   The integrated and self contained Pre-School Unit in the hall enables the rest of the hall space to be used in tandem with their sessions.  This space is let when Pre-School have finished, it fulfils all targets for free flow play for the children, inside and outside in their own garden, in all weathers as recommended by Ofsted.

 

The community space (with main kitchen alongside it with server hatch) opens through the glass doors directly onto the dedicated car park, patio and recreation ground, which is very popular for children’s parties and alfresco dining.  The committee room is ideal for smaller meetings as tonight.

 

The transfer process for the freehold of the Hall land from the Parish Council to the BVHMC, was a positive outcome for us all, the title has been officially registered and lodged with the Official Custodian in perpetuity for the residents of Blean.  The hall’s constitution is currently under review and will be revised and amended according to the changes made from the freehold land and lease transfer process.

 

P Cllr Godfrey King’s special and unique collection of Blean based archive materials and photographs was   generously donated to the Blean residents by him this year.  It forms the Blean Heritage Museum and accommodated in the Godfrey and Dorothy King room in the foyer of the hall.  This 40 year collection is welcomed and enjoyed by all the community and so many visitors who visit Godfrey to look and talk about the exhibits and photographs on display. There’s a host of Blean records kept for reference, for community and visitor interest, which Godfrey can find and explain!

 

Hall Management continues to ask for, and receive, advice from, Jenny Bradbury, the Village Hall Advisor from Rural Kent and other colleagues who offered guidance and support through formal processes concerning the hall.

The Hall is working towards a Level 2 Hallmark application, which had to be delayed until Phase 1 snagging and final inspections were completed, last month.

 

I offer my sincere thanks to all hall management committee members, 11 trustees without whom, the workload and practical tasks of the hall would be impossible to manage alone without their devotion and support to the hall.

 

Hall rents were raised in April 2014 for the first time in 2 years by 50p an hour for regular groups and increases to private hires to meet increased utility and energy costs, made proportionally.  A further similar increase in rental charges will take place in 6 months time as the Treasurer has set the 2014-15 budget based on current income and projected costs indicate this is necessary.

 

The official web site was overhauled and revamped in January by our brilliant & young techie team: www.bleanvillagehall.co.uk contains Hall history, posters for all events/news, Twitter feed/Face book postings, information, social event archive/gallery/pictures, what goes on in the hall list, booking information and a 3d virtual tour of the interior of the hall.  I’d like to thank Denise for putting our events (and links) onto the Blean and Tyler Hill Parish Council websites for information.

 

Thanks to KCC Cllr John Simmonds for his support for grants made to the Members and Community chest funds as offered, accepted and received by us that means we are able to buy and install heaters,  + other items in the new toilet blocks which will alleviate the chronic damp and condensation in there.

 

Thanks to CCC Cllr John Gilbey for his support for a capital grant application to meet a financial shortfall for the main kitchen/cooker/extractor system proposed.  A grant of £4874.00 was agreed by the finance committee last

Thursday and confirmed that will enable us to commission the work and will make a huge difference to the hall and everyone who uses it.

 

Thanks to all the major capital grant holders, KCC, CCC, Viridor Credits, Charitable trust funds and foundations, individuals, and above all,  the Blean residents and user groups who supported the Phase 1 fund raising and capital project in so many different ways.

 

Their commitment enabled us to raise £265.000 (Inc VAT) to meet the cost of the Phase 1 capital project – their names are acknowledged and listed on the board in the community space outside.

 

Plans for this financial year include:
repaying as much of the pledge as affordable from BVHMC funds via major social events – garage safari, annual summer fete, music festival and gift aid tax refund,
 investing from fund raising by buying more tables for hall users,
new curtains to be made throughout the hall.
replacing/re-homing matching chairs as offered,
complete shelves and re-organisation of the main storeroom, + maintenance of hall exterior and interior, and car park with relevant signage is ongoing to maintain the high standards.

 

When the £15,000 pledge has been repaid in full attention will be focussed on building the Phase 2 project with applications to grant holders and capital grant bids made to meet the cost.

 

Last Saturday’s first dementia awareness lunch in the hall was a huge success with approx 50 people coming along with their families and carers to have lunch together.  Next one will be on Saturday 10th May mid-day – noon.

 

We’re collaborating with Blean Pre-School, BPC, FOBC and the JGC in our entry for S&SEiB 50 year anniversary to make an impression as Blooming Blean – this work is in progress as you may have noticed – the hall and environs will be festooned by hanging baskets, planters, guerrilla flower beds, and available sites will be planted up with flowers and vegetables during the next few months.  Judging and assessment will take place end June – mid July.

 

 

This concludes the annual report.

 

Carol Sturgeon

Chairman BVHMC

 

 

 

 

.