Minutes – 12th March 2012

                                                                                                                        Sheet 1580
 
Minutes of the Blean Parish Council Meeting held at the Village Hall, School Lane, Blean on Monday 12th March 2012.
 
Those Present:    Cllrs: W. Leetham (Chairman); H. Samuelson (Vice-Chairman); G King; C. Sturgeon; C. Dunster; P. Hutt; C. Harris; B. Flack
 
Ward Cllr. John Gilbey and County Cllr. John Simmonds.
 
Apologies: Ward Cllr.Mrs H. McCabe – Rural Area Members meeting.
 
There were two members of the public present.
 
The Chairman opened the meeting by welcoming everyone and explaining the fire drill and location of the toilets.
 
1. Changes to the Register of Members’ Interests
No changes.
 
2. Declarations of Interest in Matters to be discussed.
Councillors Sturgeon and King reaffirmed their interest as Hall Management Committee members.
 
3. Matters raised by the public
Mr David Gammon asked when the proposed new 30mph speed limit on the A290 is to be implemented and where.
County Cllr. John Simmonds replied that it is on the work list to be implemented soon and Cllr. Leetham explained the area it covers.
 
3.1 Reports from Ward and County Councillors
a) County Cllr. Simmonds gave his report in which he said that the County Council had been in discussion with Canterbury City Council on shared services and how they will work together.
Cllr. Dunster gave congratulations to whoever organises the libraries.
Cllr. Simmonds also spoke of the Freedom of Information Act and the problems and time it creates for the staff and the costs involved.
b) Ward Cllr. John Gilbey gave his report in which he agreed with all County Cllr. Simmonds had said about the Freedom of Information Act and said that making a charge for information would put a stop to the abuse.
He also spoke of the fact that Canterbury has got cultural recommendations and that Infratil has left Manston Airport.
He said that regarding ‘A Rural Settlement Hierarchy Study of Canterbury District’ report, the reason that there is no mention of farms is because farms very often cross boundaries but they will be included in Parish Plans.
He was pleased that the new bus shelter had been installed at Blean School, Cllr. Leetham said that it was a shame that graffiti had appeared on it so soon. This has now been removed.
 
                                                                                                                        Sheet 1581
 
Cllr. Gilbey said that the Westgate Towers road scheme will soon start its one year trial.
 
3.2 NHW Report
Cllr. King gave his report in which he said that the theft of equipment had taken place at Lucketts Farm during the month. Other than that it had been a quiet and crime free period in the village. Forty four messages had been received from Kent Police since the last meeting and distributed through the street contact network, notice boards and Parish Council website.
PCSO Chris Chapman has confirmed that he is being transferred to central Dover and his replacement will be PCSO Mike Bradbury. As yet, no contact details, only tel 101.
4. Minutes of the last Meeting
The minutes of 13th February 2012 were approved and accepted as a true record of the meeting.
Proposed by Cllr. King, Seconded by Cllr. Hutt, all present agreed.
Signed by the Chairman.
 
5. Matters Arising
5.1 Cllr. Dunster raised minute item 10.2 regarding the recycling area and the Chairman confirmed that this is an idea for the future.
5.2 Cllr. Flack raised minute item 3.1 a) Seapier Morgan Stud and asked what was happening. Ward Cllr. McCabe was getting an enforcement officer to investigate but was not at the meeting to report on the outcome.
5.3 Cllr. Hutt reported that the owner of Hempshall Hall appears to be staying overnight in a caravan on the property.
5.4 Cllr. Sturgeon said that a member of the playgroup has been in touch reference the play equipment area working group.
 
6. Reports including Village Hall
6.1 Cllr. Samuelson acknowledged the work that Cllrs. John Simmonds and John Gilbey have done regarding the new 30mph speed limit on A290 and asked if there is any money for white lining.
6.2. Cllr. Dunster spoke of the proposed planning application behind the shops on Tyler Hill Road and said that a resident had spoken to her about her garden wall being repeatedly knocked down by lorries travelling along the private road.
6.3 Cllr. Flack reported on the progress of putting together the working party for the play equipment and had been in touch with Lorraine from Playgroup. Steve Wilkinson is to come on board along with a lady from Tyler Hill.
Cllr. Flack is getting costings from Bridge PC of their adult gym equipment. She suggested that it is looked at in three sections.
6.4 Cllr. King reported that the local shop had won ‘Londis National Best Store of the Year’ award. It was agreed for the clerk to write a letter of congratulations from the Parish Council to Binny, Reena and staff.
6.5 Cllr. Sturgeon gave the village hall report (attached to the minutes).
Cllr. Leetham asked what the amount stands at the present time. Cllr. Sturgeon replied £42,000 and with Viridor and Cllr. Simmond’s contribution £75,000. She
                                                                                                                        Sheet 1582
 
explained that Blean is not eligible for a Big Lottery grant as Blean is not considered to be a deprived area.
6.6 Cllr. Harris said that he had been told about homeless people camping in Blean Woods. Cllr. Flack said that she knows of a homeless man in Blean Woods who is being engaged by ‘Catching Lives’. Cllr. Harris also asked when it is proposed to switch the street lights off at night. Cllrs. Gilbey and Simmonds said that they are to be dimmed.
6.7 Cllr. Hutt said that he was pleased that his new Council Tax bill showed a reduction to Blean Parish Council by 4.4%.
6.8 Cllr. Leetham spoke of the proposal to implement a weight restriction of 7.5T along the whole stretch of the A290 because of the Westgate Towers scheme. A proposal was made to support this restriction
Proposed Cllr. Leetham, Seconded Cllr. Samuelson, all present agreed.
Cllr. Leetham said that he had been due to attend an Emergency Planning meeting but it had been oversupported.
The recent crashes on the A290 were discussed.
 
7. Correspondence
All correspondence and emails received had been previously circulated to Cllrs. These included:
1. ACRK – Certificate of membership for 2012/2013
2. Alex Graham – Summer Football Training – April 12th – June 29th – Thurs & Fri
6.30 – 8pm
3. Letter of thanks to BVHMC from BPC for hard work in fundraising
4. Letter to BVHMC – Transfer of BVH Freehold
5. Email to Canterbury Archives accepting charge of £25 per year for records storage
6. KALC – Parish News Feb 2012
7. Rural News Issue 113
8. KALC – Letter from Canterbury Area Committee Chairman to Cllr. John Gilbey
– Locality Board
9. Parish News – Feb 2012
10. Open Space magazine – Feb 2012
11. Rural Buildings Design Workshop – 21st March – Lenham Community Centre
12. Notice of Bob Bennett’s, CCC Elections Manager, retirement.
13. Email advising that a bus shelter has been erected at Blean School
14. Letter from Graham Bolton, 9 Tile Kiln Hill, Reduced Speed Limit on A290
15. Proposal to review Kent County Councils Gypsy and Traveler Allocation Policy
16. Request for a direction sign for Blean Village Hall on The Green – Refused
17. KALC – Draft letter – Development & Infrastructure – Creating Quality Places –
Consultation Document
18. Invitation to the CDCA AGM 16th March 2012
19. KALC Planning Conference 2012 – 31st March – Lenham Community Centre
Regarding the refusal by KCC to supply and install a direction sign for the village
hall to be erected it was proposed to investigate the cost of supplying a sign.
Proposed by Cllr. Sturgeon, seconded by Cllr. Samuelson, all present agreed.
County Cllr. Simmonds is to look into the matter.
 
 
 
                                                                                                                        Sheet 1583
 
8. Planning Application
8.1 CA/12/00198/FUL – Erection of two pairs of 3 bed semi-detached houses – Land rear of shops, Tyler Hill Road
 
Planning Application Decision Notices
8.2 No planning application decisions had been received.
 
Work toTrees in a Conservation Area
8.3 Various work to trees at Blean Church.
 
9. Approval for invoice payments and signing of cheques
Chq. 002184 – BVHMC – Utility Bills PC share Nov 11 – Jan 12           £ 59.78
Chq. 002185 – Mr K Waddington – Handyman’s Wages Feb 2012        £ 97.13
Chq. 002186 – Mrs D Horswell – Clerks Salary Feb 2012                        £649.16
Chq. 002187 – Mrs D Horswell – Petty Cash Feb 2012                             £ 27.13
Chq. 002188 – HMRC – PAYE & NIC Feb 2012                                                 £ 50.42
Chq. 002189 – BVHMC – Hall Hire Feb 2012                                           £ 10.00
DD – Serco – Waste Collection January 2012                                             £ 32.88
 
Total                                                                                                               £926.50
 
Received in – BVHMC – Share of ARCK membership                            £ 32.50
 
Bank Statement as at 12th March 2012
Current Account – £2000
Business Reserve Account £27,050.55
                                                                                                           
10. Any other business
10.1 Mr Gammon spoke of cars that park on the dropped kerb opposite the hall in School Lane. Cllr. Sturgeon is to have a word with playgroup.
10.2 Next meeting is the Annual Parish Assembly followed by the Parish Council meeting on Monday 16th April. Cllr. Gilbey gave his apologies in advance.
 
There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.40pm.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Date     _______________                 Signature     ______________________________ 
 
 
 
 
 
 
BVHMC report for the Blean Parish Council meeting 12th March 2012.
 
Since our last report, on 13th February we were disappointed to learn that our bid to CCC for capital funding was unsuccessful and came back with this message.
“Unfortunately due to limited funds, the amount of money in the pot this year was only £30,000 and your application was in excess of this. If you require any further support  with sourcing other potential funders please just ask and a community development officer can help.  Again, sorry we were unable to fund your project this time”.
I will be contacting the community development officer to see if they can help us to source potential funders and remain in constant touch with the Funding Buddy to locate sources of funding for capital building in the future.
The application submitted for grant funding to Mark Reeves under the KCC community halls capital funding scheme will be decided at the beginning of April. The KCC community engagement grant of £5,000 was deposited in full into the BVHMC bank account, in February.
 
The Knitting Together collaborative initiative with the Friends of Blean Church and Raise the Roof volunteers has finally “wound up” but is likely to be resurrected at the beginning of winter as it proved so successful as a social get together event.
 
The scarf was transformed into all sorts of garments and creatures which were sold for donations and the remainder made into blankets for those in need.
 
The coffee morning and Blean village annual barn dance on Saturday 25th February in the Tyler Hill Memorial Hall were great successes as were the children’s soft clay modelling workshop in the half-term week, and the February, Saturday morning pictures for children event, was a huge success, with about 30 children and parents attending.
 
To mark “climate week” this week the Friday Film night is showing Singing in the Rain to encourage the weather, now that an official drought has been declared for this and other areas. Saturday morning pictures for kids will show Kung Fu Panda 2, grown-ups welcome to stay, doors open at 9.30am.
 
Sales of Hello Eiffel, a wonderful little book, (courtesy of Stewart Ross and Jennifer Strait) are still selling. The Pre-School are holding a reading with Stewart this week for the children and have committed to sell at least 25 copies over the year. They are organising other fund raising events in collaboration with one of their Mums and the Raise the Roof volunteers for the building project. Books are available via our monthly events or direct from Stewart’s website www.bleanbasedbooks.com.
 
The Duke of Edinburgh awards students are working hard alongside the volunteers and have made a huge difference to the support we receive by undertaking specific and technical tasks by offering help at events.
 
They may become involved in helping our community with retuning their TV’s when we all go digital in June. Rural Kent asked the BVHMC for volunteers and will be attending a coffee morning before June to demonstrate to them, and to our community, how to tackle the digital changeover technicalities.
 
The Hallmark visitors from Rural Kent are coming on Friday 23rd March to undertake an assessment of the BVHMC and the hall. The BVHMC are currently undertaking a comprehensive risk assessment of the hall, interior, exterior, recreation ground et al as this is a requirement of Hallmark as well as other areas of management and administration which will be scrutinised and judged.
 
This risk assessment will be a permanent document in the hall and will be subject to periodic revision, the Responsible Officer & BVHMC member Richard Meadows will monitor and keep it updated. Any related areas which the Blean Parish Council need to address via the risk assessment will be forwarded to Denise, (the Parish Clerk ASAP), for her attention and any feedback, if relevant from Hallmark visitors, will be communicated as well.
 
The BVHMC and volunteers were very touched with the formal acknowledgement from Denise letter, following the last Parish Council meeting in February; which reflected the appreciation of the effort and hard work put in by the hall committee and RtheR volunteers to stimulate community spirit in the village, on behalf of everyone involved, thank you.
 
The response by the BPC to the BVHMC’s statement of intent letter read out at the last PC meeting and the details involved were considered at our meeting on 5th March and will be the subject of further discussion before a formal response can be given.
 
New groups are hiring the hall Indian Dancing, Drama Improvisation added to Zumba. Fundraising over past two months has raised £1298.66 + Blean Heritage Museum has donated £1,000 from their funds towards the project and further donations are expected from other sources.
 
Next coffee morning Saturday 31st March 10Am onwards with an Easter theme I’m told, please come and join us if you can.
 
Carol Sturgeon – Chairman
BVHMC