Minutes – 11th November 2013

                                                                                                                      

Sheet 1677

 

Minutes of Blean Parish Council Meeting held at the Village Hall, School Lane, Blean on Monday 11th November 2013

 

Those Present:    Cllrs: W. Leetham (Chairman); B. Flack (Vice-Chairman);

G King; C. Dunster; C. Sturgeon; H. Samuelson.

 

Also present: Ward Cllr. B. Fitter and County Cllr. J Simmonds and three members of the public.

 

1. Apologies for absence:  – Cllr. C Goldstein; P. Hutt; Ward Cllr. J. Gilbey

 

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and explained the fire drill, fire exits and location of the toilets.

 

2. Changes to Register of Declarations of Interest and DPI in Matters to be discussed.

1. Cllr. Sturgeon and Cllr. King declared an interest as Village Hall Management Committee members in matters to be discussed.

Cllr. Flack declared an interest as Secretary of Friends of Blean Church reference an item in her Councillors’ report.

 

3. Matters raised by the public

3.1 Mr Gammon reported that although some road work had been done in Chapel Lane there were still areas that needed attending to and there were still potholes in Trueman Close. The clerk will email Marie Lampkin again.

 

4. Reports from Ward and County Councillors

Ward Cllr. Fitter reported that the implementation of the ‘bedroom tax’ had led to an increase in housing swaps and had produced no increase in rent arrears in the district.

He spoke of the issues with the existing and potential new housing stock in the Canterbury area.

He is available to and continues to deal with residents questions.

He thought that the Parish Plan open meeting which he had attended in the village hall was very interesting and he will be adapting an on-line questionnaire for Blean.

Speeding issues continue on the A290.

Cllr. Leetham said that representatives of the Parish Council were meeting with Gary Peskett from CCC regarding affordable housing in Blean and wondered whether surplus funds at CCC could be used for affordable housing in Blean. Two surveys have been done in the village which indicates that there is a need.

Cllr. Fitter said that he would enquire.

County Cllr. John Simmonds reported on the KCC budget and encouraged Parish Councils to participate in the consultation.

 

 

 

Sheet 1678

 

He reported that KCC will lose £340m of Government funding over the next three years. They are responsible for over 300 services.

KCC propose to increase the Council Tax by 1.99%.

 

5. Approval of the Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 14th October 2013

The minutes of the 14th October 2013 meeting were approved and accepted as a true record of the meeting.

Proposed by Cllr. Samuelson, seconded by Cllr. King and all Cllrs. present AGREED.

 

Matters arising

5.1 ref 3.1 there has been no response from PROW so clerk will email again.

5.2 ref 3.1 Cllr. Samuelson said that he had checked the path by the school.

5.3 ref 4 Cllr. Sturgeon was to attend the RAMP meeting at Kingston but had been told that the meeting was only for Rural members and City Cllrs and not for Parish Councils. Cllr. Fitter will investigate.

5.4 ref 9.2 Cllr. Samuelson said that the signpost had been knocked down by a vehicle.

5.5 ref 9.3 the bins are to be removed on 1st December or thereabouts.

There was a discussion regarding the hall hirers’ recyclable rubbish and it was decided for BVHMC to negotiate with CCC about a new recycling bin for the hall.

 

6. N.H.W. Report

Cllr. King gave his report in which he said that thefts of garden tools and other items continue to occur, details have been placed on the notice boards and the Parish Council website together with the NHW network of street contacts.

Two thefts had occurred at Seapier Arabian Stud, one of a battery from a car and the other of electric fence equipment.

Since Cllr. King had written his report he had had notification of a number of further thefts in Tyler Hill Road and Chapel Lane, all expensive power tools and garden equipment from outbuildings and sheds.

The Kentish Gazette is to include a report of the thefts in Tyler Hill Road in its next issue.

Cllr. King has received 52 messages from Kent Police since the last PC meeting.

There are ample funds to meet the requirements of the local NHW scheme.

 

7. Village Hall Report

Cllr. Sturgeon had no VH report as she had been due to attend the RAMP meeting but said that all is going well in the newly refurbished hall.

Cllr. Samuelson said that Cllr. Sturgeon had failed to mention that she had been awarded a Blean Community Award which was awarded to people who make a difference to Blean.

The Chairman, on behalf of the Parish Council, congratulated Cllr. Sturgeon on the award.

 

 

 

 

Sheet 1679

 

8. Matters Arising including:

8.1 Public Paths & Rights of Way

BPC is still waiting for a reply from PROW officer in order to establish which footpaths PROW are responsible for.

8.2 Recreation Ground inc. play equipment

Cllr. Flack reported that County Cllr. Simmonds has offered to fund the purchase of an octagonal picnic table. This will cost £500 and be sited where the old roundabout was.

Cllr. Flack reported that children, at the last coffee morning, had scattered grass seeds on the mound and planted daffodils by the new posts on the car park.

An application has been put in for Capital funding to hopefully continue with the new play equipment project.

8.3 Chestnut Avenue Trees

Cllr. Leetham has been contacted by KCC following a complaint by a resident about the trees in Chestnut Avenue and the damage to the pavements. There is to be a site meeting on Friday 15th November at 9.30am with the KCC Tree Officer, Highways engineer, members of BPC and residents to agree on the way forward.

8.4 Design of bench in memory of Hazel McCabe

The proposed design for the bench, as prepared by Anthony Mooring, was passed around for approval and all members were in agreement although the suggested wording was changed to ‘Cllr. Mrs Hazel McCabe’. It was agreed for Mr Mooring to start the work.

It was decided to leave the discussion on where the bench is to be sited until December’s meeting

8.5 Parish Plan meeting

Cllr. Flack reported that following the Parish Plan open meeting four volunteers had come forward with Cllr. Ben Fitter being a fifth who will put in place an on-line questionnaire. A second open meeting will be held in the New Year.

The Chairman thanked Cllr. Fitter for attending the last meeting.

8.6 Highway Issues

1. Double yellow lines are proposed to be put on both sides of Tyler Hill Road/School Lane junction and School Lane/Chestnut Avenue junction. These proposals will go before the next meeting of the Transportation Board.

Proposed by Cllr. Samuelson, seconded by Cllr. King, all Cllrs. present AGREED.

2. Cllr. King said that speed checks are continuing on the A290 and the PCSO attends the Hall coffee mornings in order to meet with the residents.

8.7. Kevro Properties Correspondence

There has still been no response. Ward Cllr. Gilbey said at the last PC meeting that he would look into the matter.

8.8 KCC Highways Survey – to be completed by 13th December

Cllr. Leetham will complete the survey.

8.9 Electoral Review – Boundaries

Cllr. Leetham has had a meeting with the Chairman of Hackington Parish Council following the proposed reduction of the District Cllrs. from 50 to 38. He explained what this would mean in terms of the change in Ward boundaries. It was thought that the most sensible solution would be for Hackington and Blean to combine with

Sheet 1680

 

Harbledown as a Ward.  The Chairman of Hackington Parish Council has written to the Chairman of Harbledown Parish Council to seek their views.

 

Ward Cllr. Fitter said that every City Cllr. thought that the combination of these three parishes into one ward was a sensible solution.

 

9. Councillors’ Reports

9.1 Cllr. Flack has had a request from Colin Caverhill on behalf of Blean PCC asking whether KCC and BPC would provide a fingerpost sign for Blean Church on Tyler Hill Road. This would be a post on the verge with a double-sided sign leading to the church. Clerk to enquire.

9.2 Cllr. Dunster reported that street light outside 12 The Green has still not been repaired. This has been reported on KCC website and awaits action.

9.3 Cllr. Samuelson reported that the new school fencing has been erected and the notice board will be re-instated.

 

10. Correspondence

All correspondence (as previously circulated to members):

Parish Forum meeting – 9th December

KCC Highways Survey – to be completed by 13th December

Clerks & Councils Direct

Letter from Patrick Robert, French Public Relations, ref Twinning

CPRE – Kent Voice Autumn/Winter 2013

Rural Matters – Autumn 2013

KALC – Notice of AGM – 23rd November – Ditton Community Centre

Plan for Hazel’s bench from Anthony Mooring

Notice of Parish Forum meeting – apologies sent as 9th December (PC meeting)

Parish News Issue 372

KALC – Canterbury Area Committee – October meeting minutes

Meet the Police Commissioner event – 6th November

CPRE – Countryside Voice – Winter 2013

CPRE – Fieldwork – Winter 2013

                                                                                  

11. Planning Applications

The following applications have been received and circulated to all Cllrs. for comment.

1. Secretary of State – Order authorizing the stopping up of an irregular shaped

eastern part width of cul-de-sac at Tyler Hill Road – any comments by 28th November

 

2. CA/13/01314/FUL – Refurbishment and conversion of former agricultural buildings

to form 2 dwellings including demolition of milking shed – Honey Hill Farm – to go

before the Development Management Committee meeting on 12th November. No

objection by BPC.

 

 

 

 

Sheet 1681

 

Decision Notices

1. CA/13/01388/FUL – Change of use from garage workshop to annexe adjoining

main dwelling, application for the retention of conversion works completed in

2012 and the change of use from agricultural land to garden for land to the rear

of nos 2 and 2a Tile Kiln Hill – 2 Tile Kiln Hill – REFUSED

 

2. CA/13/01752/FUL – Proposed single-storey ‘Portakabin Limited’ building to be

hired by University of Kent for a period of five years and used as a study area by

the students – Parkwood Administration Building – GRANTED

 

Tree Notices

1. Tree Preservation Order No 4, 2013 – Land rear of 43 to 47 Chapel Lane

 

2. Clear an area, across the stream to the left of 53 Tile Kiln Hill, of mainly Hazel/cobnut and one oak. Cut back Hazel from the road side to allow clearance of the pavement – Kelks, Tile Kiln Hill

3. Fell a flowering Cherry, located next to the flats – 53a Tile Kiln Hill

 

12. Approval for invoice payments and signing of cheques

 

Cheques for Approval and Signature

Chq. 002415 – Howfield Alarms                                                                    £123.00

Chq. 002416 – Shaw & Sons – Minute Book                                               £  91.19

Chq. 002417 – Meadow Grange – 2 x brooms                                              £  11.30

Chq. 002418 – Mr K Waddington – Handyman’s Wages Oct 2013           £121.47

Chq. 002419 – Mrs D Horswell – Clerks Salary Oct 2013

                        plus 8 extra hours worked                                                     £723.36

Chq. 002420 – Mrs D Horswell – Petty Cash Oct 2013                               £  83.74         

Chq. 002421 – HMRC – PAYE & NIC Oct 2013                                         £  70.89

Chq. 002422 – BVHMC – Hall Hire Oct 2013                                             £  11.00

Chq. 002423 – BVHMC – Utilities (Electricity) Bill for office                    £  28.16

 

Total paid out        £1264.11

 

 

Paid In

Open Space Developer Contribution                                                            £942.00

Zurich Insurance Refund                                                                               £659.70

 

                                                                                    Total paid in            £1601.70

 

 

Bank Statement as at 23rd October 2013

Current Account – £2000

Business Reserve Account – £21,396.70

(Interest bearing account used to feed Current Account, when needed, to maintain a balance of £2000)

Sheet 1682

 

13. Date of next meeting

The date of the next meeting is 9th December 2013

 

14. Cllr. Flack and Cllr. Sturgeon reported that they had been to the ACRE AGM which was very interesting.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.05pm..

 

 

 

Date     _______________                 Signature     ______________________________