Minutes – 11th March 2013

                                                                                                                        Sheet 1639

 

Minutes of Blean Parish Council Meeting held at the Village Hall, School Lane, Blean on Monday 11th March 2013

 

Those Present:    Cllrs: W. Leetham (Chairman); H. Samuelson (Vice-Chairman)

G King; C. Sturgeon; C. Dunster; B. Flack; P. Hutt; C Goldstein.

 

Also present: Ward Cllr. J. Gilbey; PCSO Mike Bradbury and one member of the public.

 

The Chairman welcomed the Councillors and member of the public to the meeting and explained the fire drill and location of the toilets.

 

1. Apologies for absence:  – County Cllr. J. Simmonds – RAMP meeting

Ward Cllr B. Fitter – RAMP meeting

 

2. Declarations of Interest and DPI in Matters to be discussed.

Cllrs. Sturgeon and King both declared an interest as Village Hall Management Committee members.

All Cllrs. with the exception of Cllrs. Flack and Samuelson declared an interest in agenda item 12.1 (precept) as residents of the parish.

 

3. Matters raised by the public

PCSO Mike Bradbury said that parents from the school had reported to him that someone was camping along the river by the Crab and Winkle Way but, on checking, could find no evidence of this at the present time. Cllr. Flack said that she will check with ‘Catching Lives’ to see if they know anything.

The PSCO said that he had conducted a speed check recently at the Royal Oak and that the speed of vehicles travelling from Whitstable to Canterbury was not as bad as coming through Blean. Cllr. Hutt suggested that a speed check be carried out near Meadow Grange on Honey Hill. Cllr. Goldstein said that it was difficult for the elderly residents from Woodlands to cross the road safely.

 

4. Reports from Ward and County Councillors

Ward Cllr. John Gilbey entered the meeting at 7.50pm

4.1 Ward Cllr. John Gilbey reported that the Local Plan is nearing completion but maybe side-tracked slightly by the closure of the barracks.

There was a discussion on the numerous developments on the UKC site and Cllr. Gilbey said that CCC are encouraging UKC to put together a master plan.

 

5. Approval of the Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 11th February  2013

The minutes of 11th February 2013 were approved and accepted as a true record of the meeting.

Proposed by Cllr. King, Seconded by Cllr. Hutt and all other Cllrs. present agreed.

Minutes signed by the Chairman.

 

 

                                                                                                                        Sheet 1640                

Matters Arising from the Minutes

5.1 Ref: 8.4 Cllr. Sturgeon said that there was a big article in Oast to Coast regarding Neighbourhood Plans.

5.2 Ref: 9.2 Cllr. Samuelson said that the school are in the process of re-fencing and when it has been completed a new noticeboard will be put up.

 

6. N.H.W. Report

Prior to Cllr. King giving his report the Chairman showed the meeting an award, David Turner award, which had been presented to Cllr. King by the Commissioner in recognition of his dedicated service to NHW.

Cllr. King was congratulated by his fellow councillors. He said that he felt it was a reflection of the work which all the street contact people in Blean carry out in helping to make the community a safer place.

Cllr. King gave his report in which he said that it had been a very quiet period with no crimes reported in the village since his last report. He has received 45 messages from Kent Police, some of which have been publicised through the NHW network, on notices, in the press and on the PC website.

Cllr. King had met with Ann Barnes, County Police Commissioner, on 9th March and NHW issues had been discussed. He had also met with Chief Inspector Barlow, the Divisional Commander, and expressed concerns about the forthcoming departure of our PCSO who is going into training as a full time constable. Inspector Barlow had assured him that a replacement PCSO will be allocated to us, initially by a current officer who will double up on his area duties, but shortly, we will have a dedicated officer for the local area from among the forty new PCSOs who are about to take up their posts.

 

7. Village Hall Report

Cllr. Sturgeon gave the BVHMC report (attached to these minutes).

 

8. Matters Arising including

8.1 Public Paths and Rights of Way

8.1 Cllr. Sturgeon said that she had notification from Canterbury Ramblers that Margaret Phipps will no longer be the co-ordinator and a new person will be appointed shortly.

The Chairman explained that all footpath concerns can be reported on the KCC website.

8.2 Recreation Ground including play equipment

Cllr. Flack said that she had notification that the bid to RAMP for funding for part of the play equipment is eligible.

Still waiting for the date of the Wicksteed inspection.

8.3 Permission from Parish Council for BVHMC to use recreation ground for Blean Annual Fete on 29th June and for use of the office electrics

This was agreed and Richard Meadows, Hall Health and Safety, will ensure that vehicles use the gate by the parish office on event days and that the other gates are kept locked.

 

 

                                                                                                                        Sheet 1641

 

8.4 Permission from Parish Council for BVHMC to use recreation ground for marquee on 4th May for ‘Auction of Promises’

This was agreed.

8.5 Road Safety Measures

Double yellow lines are to be put at the junction of Tyler Hill Road and Blean Common and at the junction of Blean Common and Chapel Lane.

Cllr. Sturgeon said that Denstroude Lane was in a terrible state with potholes. The Chairman advised her to report them on KCC website.

8.6 Consideration of a Neighbourhood Plan

It was decided to talk to Adrian Verrall from CCC regarding the way forward in setting up a Neighbourhood Plan.

Cllr. Gilbey said that it is very important that the rural areas conform with the Local Plan. He suggested setting up a pilot scheme to include Blean, Tyler Hill and Rough Common. Cllr. Flack said that it was very important to have community involvement.

The Chairman said that there is a KALC conference on 23rd March at Lenham and to let the clerk know if anyone wished to attend.

8.7 Fire Hydrants

A map of the location of fire hydrants in Blean has now been received from KALC and it was noted that there are a considerable number.

8.8 Consideration of a newsletter

Although the Chairman presents a newsletter for the annual Assembly in April Cllr. Goldstein thought that a more frequent one would be beneficial. She had looked at other parishes’ websites and established that about half of those she looked at had a more frequent newsletter. She asked whether the Parish Council would see this as useful and also whether the residents would. Various opinions were expressed including matters of distribution and editing. It was commented that Cllr. King writes a weekly column in the Kentish Gazette and articles are also put on the PC website.

 

9.  Councillors’ Reports

9.1 Cllr. Samuelson asked whether the members thought the new centre in Tyler Hill Road had caused any parking problems. The answer was no.

He also commented on the speeding by Stagecoach buses, Cllr. Gilbey said that he is meeting with Stagecoach next week so will pass on the concerns.

9.2 Cllr. Dunster said that the hedge at the Hare and Hounds pub is full of litter. It was decided to ask Ken Waddington if he will clear it although it is outside the area that he normally cleans. Cllr. Leetham congratulated Serco on promptly clearing away a bag of garden waste at Foxes Cross which he had reported.

9.3 Cllr. Flack asked whether it would be a good idea to ask Helen Bennington whether the Community Payback Scheme would help with painting the play equipment. It was also agreed to ask them to clean and tidy up the area from the gas pumping station down Pean Hill to Foxes Cross and Denstroude Lane.

Cllr. Flack also said that she had spoken to Ken about the memorial gates being sandblasted and it was thought that this could be liaised with BVHMC so that the gates could be removed when the building work starts and builders shuttering will

 

                                                                                                                        Sheet 1642

 

be erected. The clerk and Ken will get estimates for the work for consideration at the next meeting.

It was agreed to ask Ken to take the wreath and posy off the gates. Cllr. Flack said that it showed a good reflection on the village that they had remained untouched since Remembrance Sunday.

9.4 Cllr. Sturgeon said about clear sacks blowing into the road. It was decided to add a mention about litter and dog fouling onto the newsletter.

9.5 Cllr. Leetham reported on a meeting that Cllrs. Leetham, Flack, King and the clerk (to take notes), had attended with architects and developers who were proposing an outline plan for a development behind the Royal Oak. This was purely a fact-finding exercise and it will now go out to public consultation arranged by the developers.

9.6 A discussion was had on the recent planning application received for 8 Honey Hill. There had been strong objections by the Parish Council to previous applications at this site and again to this proposal. The application is in circulation for comments.

9.6 Cllr. Leetham reported on a meeting that he had attended with the clerk and the chairman and clerk of Sturry Parish Council at Sturry parish office with representatives of S. E. Water who explained new ways of resourcing water. Broad Oak reservoir is still a possibility in the future although on a smaller scale. Cllr. Gilbey said that CCC are obliged to put land for a reservoir on the Local Plan.

9.7 Cllr. Leetham has spoken to Tony Abbott about a replacement noticeboard on The Green. Brochures will be given to him to give an idea of styles.

Cllr. Hutt raised concern whether it is wise to take anything from a local builder but it was agreed that it was.

                                                                                                                      

10. Correspondence

All correspondence had been circulated to members:

Correspondence

First Notice of Kent's First Speed Watch Mini-Conference – Sat 20 April 2013,

10:00 to 12:30

Sarah Skinner – opposement of new application for development of 8 Honey Hill

CT2 9JP

KALC – DCLG Notes on Neighbourhood Planning Edition 4

Blean Initiative 12 March 2013

KCC – SCCPCAN13-32 – BLEAN PARISH COUNCIL – £478

Blocked/overgrown bridlepath – CB27 – reported to PROWO

Frances Christophers – Notice board at Blean School

KALC – Learning and Development Update February 2013

ACRK – Rural News 126

Kent Minerals and Waste Local Plan: Proposed Mineral Safeguarding Areas

CCC – Notice of precept payments

KTFire worksheet – extinguishers in office ok

Clerks & Councils Direct – March 2013 Issue 86

SE Water – Water Resources Plan 2014

Nat West form completed by Blean Parochial Church Council for transfer of Deed

Box

                                                                                                                        Sheet 1643

 

11. Planning Applications – The following applications have been received and circulated to all Cllrs. for comment.

Planning Applications

Planning Applications

1. CA/13/00280/FUL – Addition to side and rear to form entrance lobby, kitchen, shower room and W.C. Internal alterations – 36 School Lane – No objection by PC

2. CA/13/00245/FUL – Roof alterations to building within the cartilage of Hoath Court Farm House – Estates Buildings Office, UKC – No objection by PC

3. CA/13/00271/FUL – Rear and side two-storey extension – 42 School Lane – in circulation

4. CA/13/00274/FUL – Erection of children’s day nursery – Land NW of Parkwood & E of Blean Primary School UKC – no objection – the site, transport issue concerns were discussed

5. CA/13/00371/FUL – Detached building for use as holiday let – 8 Honey Hill – in circulation.

 

Decision Notices
1. CA/13/00058/FUL – Change of use from residential bungalow to tea room and minor alterations – 44 Honey Hill – GRANTED

2. CA/13/02255/FUL – Demolition of existing workshop and erection of replacement machinery bays, workshop and office – Land adjacent Blean Nature Reserve – WITHDRAWN

3. CA/13/00072/FUL – Two-storey side extension and increasing height of pitched roof incorporating loft conversion – The Willows, Pean Hill – GRANTED

Proposed Works to Trees in a Conservation Area
Reduce the height of a beech tree by 25%, located in top left hand corner of the rear garden – 16 School Lane

12. Approval for invoice payments and signing of cheques

Banking details for February 2013

          

Cheques for Approval and Signature

Chq. 002343 – Mr K Waddington – Handyman’s Wages Feb 2013        £  119.53

Chq. 002344 – Mrs D Horswell – Clerks Salary Feb 2013                         £  661.20

Chq. 002345 – Mrs D Horswell – Petty Cash Feb 2013                             £    86.74

Chq. 002346 – HMRC – PAYE & NIC Feb 2013                                      £    39.15

Chq. 002347 – BVHMC – Utilities                                                              £    82.92

Chq. 002348– ACRK – Annual Subscription 50% with BVH                 £    65.00

Chq. 002349 – BVHMC – Rent February 2013                                         £    11.00

Chq. 002350 – Zurich – Insurance Renewal                                               £2372.08

DD – Serco – Waste Collection – January 2013                                         £    26.30

 

                                                                                                Total out        £3463.92

 

 

                                                                                                                        Sheet 1644

 

Bank Statement as at 22nd February 2013

Current Account – £2000

Business Reserve Account – £30,839.15

(Interest bearing account used to feed Current Account, when needed, to maintain a balance of £2000. Includes anticipated expenditure up to 31st March 2013

Reserves funds of £11,000 earmarked for the BVHMC)

 

12.1 It was proposed by Cllr. Leetham, seconded by Cllr. Flack to set the precept at £15,100 for 2013/2014. This increase was to allow for the grant allocation from Government to District Councils which is not guaranteed will be available to Parish Councils in future years.

 

13. Date of next meeting

The date of the next meeting is the Annual Assembly on 15th April.

The Chairman wished PCSO, Mike Bradbury, good luck in his new career.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.28pm..

 

 

 

Date     _______________                 Signature     ______________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BVHMC report for the Blean Parish Council meeting 11th March  2013.

 

The transfer of the freehold of the hall from the Parish Council to BVHMC is on-going and we thank Denise for taking the document to the CCC Solicitor to enable him to make progress with the transfer process.

 

We are pleased to report that Roger de Haan CT gave us a £500.00 grant toward the Phase 1 project which has been thanked and banked. Further bids were submitted during January and February to other Charitable Trusts, and decisions are now awaited.

 

The hall is now part of Blean Primary School’s emergency plan, as a designated place of safety, the School’s Business Manager and office staff has the telephone contact numbers of 3 key holders, if the need arises for them to use it.  It remains a KCC designated community rest and resource centre as part of their emergency planning procedure.

 

PAT testing was offered to all user groups for their own electrical appliances last Friday (for a small fee) while the electrician was in the hall doing BVHMC & BPC’s appliances and annual safety checks. Many users & groups took this offer up again, we’ll continue to offer and include users & groups in this annual inspection.

 

Tenders by 5 builders were received back by the architect last Friday 8th March. The architect is undertaking an appraisal of them and will notify BVHMC with his assessment ASAP.  BVHMC are in a positive position to start the Phase 1 project as soon as a builder is appointed, a start date confirmed and a schedule of works and timing drawn up, which we hope to be next month.

 

Steven Reith and Andy Burgis (BVHMC members) are acting as hall liaison officers before during and after the building work to resolve any problems which may occur for regular hall users; leading up to, during the period of, and following the changes made, to the hall(s) and layout after the building work. Clearly, the BVHMC will endeavour to limit the inconvenience and disruption to all hall users which may occur as far as we’re able, but we’ll be subject to the building schedule.

 

We hope the main internal and breakthrough work can be undertaken from 24th July – throughout August – which means we may need to close the hall to users throughout this period to enable us to re-open the hall on 2nd September at the start of the autumn school term, the liaison team will contact all groups who may be affected., ASAP.

 

Information will be communicated to all hall users with notices put up around the hall and village, via the usual channels to keep the community up to date with relevant news and progress made.  The hall “use” spread sheet is located on the small board opposite and is a live document updated on a weekly basis to reflect any changes in bookings and specifying which hall is used.  The rent charging notice has been revised and is in the main hall for information.  All bookings continue to go via the Lettings Officer, into the Hall diary and are communicated to Steve Reith.

 

Fund raisers organised a range of very successful events since the last P C meeting, including the February coffee morning, Godfrey’s beautiful Blean photo exhibition, annual barn dance in the Blean School hall and showing of Skyfall film in the hall, last Saturday evening.  Fund raising events continue according to the 2013 Calendar of Social events unless affected by building work, with full details & updates available on the bleanvillagehall.co.uk website, posters on notice boards, e-mail information sent out and the local correspondent’s column in the Kentish Gazette.

 

BVHMC’s 2011-12 annual accounts are now logged onto the Charity Commission website, with the Trustees’ annual report, as an additional requirement. 

 

Next event Sat 30th March an Easter themed coffee morning, books and bits for sale table, children’s craft activities, a children’s film show tbc – and then we’re into April. Thanks to Denise for renewing joint annual membership from Action with Communities in Rural Kent, will arrange for BVHMC Treasurer to pay £32.50 back to BPC – our share.

 

Thank you

Carol Sturgeon