Minutes – 10th September 2012

                                                                                                                        Sheet 1606
 
Minutes of Blean Parish Council Meeting held at the Village Hall, School Lane, Blean on Monday 10th September 2012.
 
Those Present:    Cllrs: W. Leetham (Chairman); H. Samuelson (Vice-Chairman); G King; C. Sturgeon; C. Harris; C. Dunster; B. Flack; P. Hutt.
 
Also present: Ward Cllr. J. Gilbey; County Cllr. J Simmonds and four members of the public.
 
1. Apologies for absence:  PCSO Mike Bradbury.
 
The Chairman welcomed the Councillors and members of the public to the meeting and explained the fire drill and location of the toilets.
 
The Chairman spoke of the sad news of the recent death of Hazel McCabe, who had always been a regular attendee, as Ward Councillor, at the Parish Council meetings and was a lovely, very kind person who was always willing to take issues up to solve.
All stood for a minute’s silence.
 
2. Note Changes to the Register of Members’ Interests
No changes reported.
 
3. Declarations of Interest in Matters to be discussed.
Cllrs. Sturgeon and King reaffirmed their interest as Hall Management Committee members.
 
4. Matters raised by the public
4.1 Mr Gammon thanked County Cllr. Simmonds for the signs on the A290 reminding motorists of the new 30mph speed limit.
Cllr. Samuelson reported that there was still a 40mph sign opposite Kent College footpath and asked whether Stagecoach are aware of the new speed limit.
 
5. Reports from Ward and County Councillors
5.1 Ward Cllr. John Gilbey gave his report in which he spoke of:
  • The Beaney – is now open – admission is free with 5000 people gaining entry last Saturday
  • Waste Contract – all the tenders are now in
  • Foreign Investment – KCC spearheaded the battle in Iceland. CCC are expecting to get more than £6m back
  • Westgate Towers – Consultation is running with no decision being reached yet
  • Housing – At a 10 year high in house building
  • Affordable Homes – there are lots of sites available across the district. No brownfield sites left
  • Local Plan – this is a cross party item with all parties being involved. A meeting of the Local Plan Group is to be held on 22nd September.
Sheet 1607
  • Chaucer Fields – A new planning application is being submitted
  • Budget – This will be looked at again in October. So far, there have been no cuts in public services by the City Council. They are trying to balance the budget using reserves. Canterbury area has more open spaces and parks than any other Council.
Cllr. Dunster commented on the lovely parks in Canterbury.
Mr Gammon asked whether he was right in thinking that twenty years ago there was a condition that the University and the city mustn’t join up.
Cllr. Gilbey replied that the buffer zone has now been all been built on.
 
5.2 County Cllr. John Simmonds gave his report in which he spoke of the collaboration between KCC and CCC.
The order has gone in for the interactive speed sign for the Canterbury end of the village.
He said that the hedge has died which was planted on the school path. A clean up is to be done of weeds etc.
KCC Budget – This went out in early September and will go on the KCC website as a consultation document. It is hoped that Council Tax will remain the same for the third year running.
Cllr. Samuelson asked about the fourth Park and Ride at Harbledown and Cllr. Gilbey said there is a meeting on 22nd September and that at some stage it will go into the Local Plan.
 
6. Approval of the Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 9th July 2012
6.1 Cllr. Sturgeon asked for a correction in the minute item 8.3 – Andy Burgis not Burgess.
This being noted the minutes of 9th July 2012 were approved and accepted as a true record of the meeting.
Proposed by Cllr. King, Seconded by Cllr. Harris, all present agreed.
Minutes signed by the Chairman.
Matters Arising from the Minutes
Cllr. Sturgeon referred to item 10.3 regarding the provision of a ramp and grab rails (report at item 10 of these minutes) and said that the hatching still needs to be painted on the front area. Only one quote has been obtained – the clerk is to source other quotes.
She reported that the polystyrene tiles have been removed from the store-room ceiling.
Reference 10.2 – Abbotts have now cleared the area.
The Chairman commended BVHMC on the impressive work that has been done on the hall.
The Parish Council are to write a letter of thanks to Anne Clifford.
 
7. N.H.W. Report
Cllr. King gave his report in which he said that since the last meeting in July he had received 77 messages from Kent Police, many of them of an advisory nature concerning national or county issues, with only a few having direct local relevance. These have been promulgated through the normal NHW network, notices and Parish Council website.
Sheet 1608
An incident had occurred at the Royal Oak last week, which was left unoccupied overnight, following the departure of the chef and two staff. The rear door to the building was forced, a pool table, juke box and a one-armed bandit all damaged with cash being taken from all three items.
Cllr. King has carried out speed checks on the A290 with PCSO Mike Bradbury on two occasions, this morning, when approximately 20% of the vehicles were travelling in excess of 35mph and on the previous occasion when almost 33% were exceeding 35mph with the highest being 50mph. Their presence sufficiently slowed vehicles down showing a clear indication that the presence of a police officer has an effect.
Currently, the PCSO is having to cover Stone Street, Waltham, Petham, Harbledown and Rough Common, in addition to his allotted area of Blean, Tyler Hill, St. Stephens and the University and all mainly patrolled by bicycle or on foot.
Cllr. King suggested that, as he still has a reasonable sum in credit, that the annual amount funded by the Parish Council be reduced from £240 to £200 this year.
This was proposed by Cllr. Leetham, seconded by Cllr. Harris, all present agreed.
Cllr. King said as he nears the end of his tenth year as co-ordinator, he is happy to continue in the post should the council wish him to. All agreed for him to continue.
Cllr. Samuelson acknowledged the hard work that Cllr. King does in his NHW role.
 
8. Village Hall Report
Cllr. Sturgeon gave the BVHMC report (attached to these minutes).
 
9. Matters Arising
9.1 Public Paths and Rights of Way
No matters arising.
9.2 Recreation Ground including play equipment
Cllr. Flack has produced a display board showing the proposed new play equipment to be purchased. This has received a positive response. It is proposed to go ahead with the ‘Awards for All’ grant. It is hoped to be able to put the order in by the end of the year. Cllr. Flack has contacted the planning department and ascertained that no planning permission is required as to the height.
Purchase of new play equipment – Proposed by Cllr. King, Seconded by Cllr. Harris, all present agreed.
Cllr. Simmonds asked to be kept in the loop and said that if there is a shortfall he will be happy to help. The Chairman thanked Cllr. Simmonds.
9.3 Consideration of a Memorial in memory of Cllr. Hazel McCabe
Cllr. Leetham said that he had contacted Colin McCabe (Hazel’s son) and the family will discuss the request after the Memorial service which is on 2nd October at 2pm in Canterbury Cathedral.
9.4 Consider invitation to CCC Helen Bennington to speak on Recycling at October PC meeting
All the Councillors were in favour of inviting Helen to give a talk. The meeting will start at the earlier time of 7pm to allow Helen to speak before the formal council meeting. Posters will be displayed in the village advertising the talk.
9.5 Road Safety Measures
 
 
Sheet 1609
There had been a meeting between Cllr. Simmonds, KHS, Cllr. Leetham, Cllr. Flack and Tim Bentley to address the road safety issues raised by him which had been very productive.
As regards the wheelie bins blocking the pavements Serco have instructions not to leave them in residents’ driveways. Cllr. Simmonds is to look at the matter of a pavement on the west side of Blean Common with KHS officers.
9.6 Report on Building, Research and Development Bridge Group meeting
Cllr. Leetham said that this had been a very useful meeting, very positive with both parties working in the same direction. The area of land needed from the Parish Council for the hall extension had been agreed as well as £10,000 and £1,000 towards solicitor’s fees. The land for Phase 2 will remain a public space until Phase 2 is completed with the Parish Council continuing to maintain the grass cutting.
The next meeting is on 19th October.
Transfer of the Hall and land to BVHMC – Proposed by Cllr. Leetham, Seconded by Cllr. Hutt, all present agreed with Cllrs Sturgeon and King abstaining as BVHMC’s representatives.
Cllr. King proposed that the clerk should be thanked for the work she had done.
 
10. Councillors’ Reports
10.1 Cllr. Samuelson noted that the hedge at the top of the A290 had been cut this year without a reminder from the Parish Council.
Cllr. Samuelson spoke of the need to revue actions in the Parish Plan which is valid until 2014.
Every household has received a questionnaire about future development in the village.
10.2 Cllr. Sturgeon asked about the repair of the noticeboards. Cllr. Samuelson replied that a new one is to be purchased for the school, Cllr. Leetham said that the one on The Green is to be repaired by Abbotts and he has had a look at the one on the A290 and it is sited in the ditch Cllr. King will ask whether the residents are happy to have it in their garden.
10.3 Cllr Hutt said that regular policing is needed to enforce the new speed limit. Cllr. Simmonds has a meeting scheduled with the Police and will incorporate Blean into the meeting.
10.4 Cllr. Harris commented that other vehicles are parking in the disabled bay outside the shop.
Cllr. Simmonds left the meeting at 8.45pm.
10.5 Cllr. Flack reported on her meeting with Richard Meadows (BVHMC Responsible Person) in which they had discussed the purchase of a disabled ramp and grab rails. They recommended purchasing the longer 75cm length ramp at a cost of £180. This is a lightweight one and is to be stored in the lobby and only to be used for wheelchairs and must be taken up after a wheelchair has used it. Richard will put up all relevant notices.
Cllr. Flack said that the front entrance would benefit from two grab rails. The rear entrance is more of a problem but it was thought one could be put on the brick pillar. Andy Burgis would put the rails up.
The cigarette butt holder has to be re-sited and Richard is happy for it to be put in the centre of the window at the recycling area end. The clerk is to ask Ken Waddington to move it.
Sheet 1610
 
Purchase of ramp and grab rails – Proposed by Cllr. King, seconded by Cllr. Harris, all present agreed.
The Chairman thanked Cllr. Flack for all the work she has done on this and also on the play equipment project.
10.6 Cllr. Leetham said that fibre-optic broadband was now available in the village with stickers having been put on the BT boxes advertising the fact.
He spoke of the disgusting state of the litter through Clowes Wood. He had collected two bagfuls on Saturday.
The Crab and Winkle line is to have a review of the signposts . KHS will re-sign it and repair the potholes.
He spoke of HGV’s using the village as a through route whereas it should only be used for access. He thought that overall there was a reduction in traffic through Blean.
11. Correspondence
All correspondence and emails received and circulated
These included:
Agenda – Development Management meeting – 24th July
Arien Signs – Notice Boards Price List
Clerks & Councils Direct – July 2012
Timberline – Brochure & Price List 2012
KALC – Canterbury Area Committee – Minutes AGM held on 11th July
SE Water – Notice of water main replacement in Whitstable Road, Canterbury
Letter to Abbotts – Former Police House
Audit Commission – Confirmation of Appointment of External Auditor from
2012/2013 – Littlejohn LLP (Under section 3 of the Audit Commission Act 1998)
KALC – Parish News – Issue 363
Open Spaces Society – Legal Fund
KCC – Household Waste Recycling Centre changes
 
12. Planning Applications – The following applications had been received and circulated to all Cllrs. for comment.
1. CA/12/01172/FUL – Single-storey extension to rear – Gorsefield, Giles Lane CT2 7LR – No objection
2. CA/12/01247/FUL – Revised siting and external changes to plots 1 and 4 and replacement of double garage by a single garage of planning permission CA/07/0147/BLE – 39 Blean Common CT2 9EX – No objection
3. CA/12/01368/FUL – Change of use of ground floor from retail (Use Class A1) to education (Use Class D1) – 9 Tyler Hill Road – Cllr. Samuelson asked for a discussion on this planning application to address the issues raised by other Cllrs. After discussion it was agreed to raise no objection to the proposal although clarification would be needed on the parking.
4. CA/12/01455/FUL – Erection of detached building for use as holiday let. (Revised scheme) – 8 Honey Hill – No objection
5. CA/12/01269/FUL – Entrance foyer extension to front and back of Ingram Building and extension to front of Stacey Building – Ingram Building,UKC – No objection
 
Sheet 1611
 
6. CA/12/01474/LUE – Certificate of Existing Lawful Use for use of site as a dwelling – Hempshall Lodge, Honey Hill – No objection
7. CA/12/01482/FUL – Installation of 3 No. microwave transmission dishes and the erection of a glass reinforced plastic (GRP) enclosure to house ancillary telecommunications equipment – Rough Common Radio Station, Moat Lane, Rough Common – No objection
 
Decision Notices
CA/12/01172/FUL
– Single-storey extension to rear – Gorsefield, Giles Lane – GRANTED
Proposed Works to Trees in a Conservation Area
1. Courtlands, Vicarage Lane
Fell a conifer in poor condition in rear garden.
Raise the canopy of an Ash to 4m located in rear garden.
Fell Pine Tree in front garden
13. Approval for invoice payments and signing of cheques
Banking details for July 2012
           
Cheque signed between meetings
Chq. 002290 – Pilgrims Hospice – Donation for Hazel McCabe              £100.00 
Chq. 002291 – Cutters Garden Services – Hedges & Footpaths               £450.00
Chq. 002292 – KCC 1st Payment Grounds Maintenance                          £918.25
Chq. 002293 – BVHMC – Hall Rent July 2012                                          £ 11.00
Chq. 002295 – Meadow Grange – Handyman expenses                           £ 20.70
Chq. 002296 – Mr K Waddington – Handyman’s Wages July 2012        £119.33
Chq. 002297 – Mrs D Horswell – Clerks Salary July 2012                        £661.20
Chq. 002298 – HMRC – PAYE & NIC July 2012                                     £ 39.35
Chq. 002299 – Mrs D Horswell – Petty Cash July 2012                            £    6.10
DD – Serco – Waste Collection – July 2012                                                £ 26.30
 
Total               £2352.23
 
Banking details for August 2012
 
Cheque signed between meetings
Chq. 002294 – Southgate Electrical – Hall Emergency Lighting              £813.60
Chq. 002300 – Mrs D Horswell – Re-imbursement for printing              £ 94.60
questionnaires
Chq. 002301 – Wicksteeds – Repair of Play Equipment                           £952.38
Chq. 002302 – Kent County Playing Fields Assoc Annual Subs              £ 20.00
Chq. 002303 – BVHMC – Portion of Utility Bills May – July 2012        £ 49.69
Cheques for Approval and Signature
Chq. 002304 – BVHMC – Painting of External Doors                             £185.00
Chq. 002305 – Mr K Waddington – Handyman’s Wages Aug 2012        £119.53
Chq. 002306 – Mrs D Horswell – Clerks Salary Aug 2012                        £683.12
Sheet 1612
 
 
Chq. 002307 – HMRC – PAYE & NIC Aug 2012                                                 £ 49.97
Chq. 002308 – Mrs D Horswell – Petty Cash Aug 2012                            £ 18.99
Chq. 002309 – BVHMC – Re-imbursement for internal hall                   £900.00
decoration
Chq. 002310 – Blean NHW – Annual Funds                                             £200.00 
 
Total               £4086.88
 
Received in – VAT Refund                                                                          £889.04
 
Bank Statement as at 10th Sept 2012
Current Account – £2000
Business Reserve Account – £40,961.98
(Interest-bearing account used to feed Current Account, when needed, to maintain a balance of £2000. Includes anticipated expenditure up to 31st March 2013 Reserves funds of £11,000 earmarked for the BVHMC)
 
14. Any other business
 
The next meeting is on 8th October 2012 at 7pm.
 
There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.24pm..
 
 
 
 
Date     _______________                 Signature     ______________________________ 
 
 
 
 
 
 
BVHMC report for the Blean Parish Council meeting 10th September 2012.
 
The July coffee morning was well attended and tables set up outside on the recreation ground for everyone to enjoy the welcome sunshine and green space.
 
As you can see, a lot of work was undertaken by the Raise the Roof volunteer working party in the hall during the school holiday period.
 
The work intensified between 18 – 28th August as the hall was closed to the public and hirers, to enable the volunteer working party, under the Leadership of Anne Clifford, to refurbish and decorate the inside and outside of this hall. More than 50 people, of all ages, offered their time, skills, energy and commitment to the task. 
 
Young people in particular worked tirelessly scrubbing down the walls, cleaning all the hall chairs and furniture, and one, a skilled carpenter, made the bespoke boiler cupboard & replacement notice board outside, with donated materials.
 
Seat cushions were washed, the curtains too, some needed repair, and all will be re-hung, with the Blean banner, after fire guarding compliance fluid has been applied. Replacement mirrors, ceramic tiles, other materials and above all, food for the workers was generously donated, food on a daily basis, to maintain working party strength and energy levels.
 
Everyone involved who helped in so many different ways, worked incredibly hard for 10 days, up to 12 hours a day, to improve this hall for the benefit of everyone who uses it. Without Anne’s Leadership and her drive, this wouldn’t have been possible, therefore, thanks to her, and team Blean, all of them, who demonstrated their generosity of spirit and commitment to the hall, inside and out, and to the needs of our community.
 
The first meeting regarding the transfer of hall freehold from Parish Council to Hall management committee took place in August and was very positive, negotiation discussed, and joint agreement found, by representatives who attended. Solicitors for both parties have been engaged to undertake the legal process. Another meeting regarding issues from the 1st meeting and group feedback from BVHMC meeting on 3rd September, arranged by Andy Burgis, for 19th Sept. 
 
Fund raising and grant applications continue. CCC single grants gateway application is in progress. CCC/CIFT capital grant for village hall application was submitted on 7th September.
 
Reminder dates: Saturday 29th September coffee morning + Godfrey’s archive photos in the hall, BVHMC AGM on Monday 22nd October at 7.30pm, open to all. 
 
Zumbathon fundraiser on Sunday 23rd September 4 – 5.30pm £8.00 entry or sponsorship, all ages welcomed – proceeds to Phase 1 hall project.
 
Carol Sturgeon 10th September 2012.