Minutes – 10th November 2014

 

Sheet 1733

Those Present:   Cllr: B. Flack (Chairman); Cllr.W. Leetham (Vice-Chairman); Cllr. C. Sturgeon; Cllr. G. King ; Cllr. C. Dunster; Cllr. P. Hutt; Cllr. H Cole; Clerk D. Horswell.

 

Also present: One member of the public.

 

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 

1. Apologies for absence:  –-– Cllr. H. Samuelson – School Governors meeting; Ward Cllr. J. Gilbey and Ward Cllr. B. Fitter – both at CCC meetings and County Cllr. J. Simmonds – unwell.

 

2. Changes to Register of Declarations of Interest and DPI in Matters to be discussed:

Cllr. Leetham declared an interest, in advance, regarding a planning application which involves his son. The application will not be circulated to him.

 

3. Matters raised by the public:

3.1. Mr Gammon commented that the sign on the Thanet Way which says ‘No access to A2’ is still there.

 

4. Reports from Ward and County Councillors:

No reports as Ward Councillors and County Councillor not present.

 

5. Approval of the Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 13th October 2014:

The minutes of the 13th October 2014 meeting were approved and accepted as a true record of the meeting.

Proposed by Cllr. Leetham, seconded by Cllr. Hutt and all Cllrs. present AGREED.

 

6. Reports and Updates: (Reports circulated to Cllrs prior to meeting and attached to these minutes)

NHW Report:

Chairman’s update:

BVHMC report:

6.1 A question was raised regarding the repayment of loans by the BVH Trustees.

Cllr. Sturgeon said that all the loans had or would be paid in due course.

The Chairman congratulated the Trustees on repaying them and also on refurbishing the Hall now that it is in use.

6.2 Cllr. Leetham asked what was happening about the cycle racks. Cllr. Sturgeon replied that Andy Burgis and Steve Reith are consulting with Richard Meadows.

The matter is pending although Cllr. Leetham is concerned about the deadline.

 

 

 

Sheet 1734

 

7. Matters Arising including:

 

7.1 Public Paths & Rights of Way:

The PROW Officer had walked CB12A and agreed that it needs re-routing.

All other overgrown footpaths had been reported by the clerk.

7.2 Cycle Racks:

This had been discussed at agenda item 6.2.

7.3 Leggett Charity – update of progress of dissolution:

Cllr. Leetham said that there had been more forms to sign which had been passed to Cllr. Samuelson, signed and posted.

One investment of £1684.30 had been withdrawn which is £180.00 more than the figures show in the accounts.

It is hoped that the account will be able to be closed in the New Year.

7.4 For Consideration: Review of Polling districts and Polling places:

It was noted that there was no change for Blean residents.

7.5 For Consideration – Consultation on proposed new weight limit TRO for North Canterbury:

This is a new order and application. It was noted that Denstroude Lane is not included. BPC will contact Dunkirk.

7.6 Annual Parking Review:

The request for double yellow lines on Tile Kiln Hill between 17 and 19 has already been sent in. All Councillors present agreed with the request.

Ward Cllr. Fitter said that funds had been secured for Enforcement Officers in Rural Areas which was welcomed.

Cllr. Leetham spoke of the concerns of parking at Kent College. He will monitor it for a month.

7.7 Response to Policing in Kent consultation:

This needs to be completed and sent by 5th December.

7.8 For Consideration: Extension of the Wittersham Pilot Scheme into East Kent:

Cllr. Flack explained that the Chairman of Hackington Parish Council has asked whether Blean would be interested in entering into a pilot scheme with them and Harbledown and Rough Common Parish Council. There is quaranteed funding for three years from KCC. It can involve any number of parishes. It was thought that there was a lot to consider and there were grave concerns as Harbledown (including Upper Harbledown) is such a vast area. It was agreed to indicate to Hackington PC that Blean PC were interested but would like to explore it further maybe with only having two parishes in the scheme.

Proposed by Cllr. King, seconded by Cllr. Leetham and all present Agreed.

7.9 For Consideration – purchase of 2nd hand Speedwatch Device:

Cllr. Flack explained that an offer had been made from Chestfield Parish Council to Blean Parish Council to buy their Speedwatch camera and boards from them. This was dependant on Chestfield PC agreeing, at their meeting tonight, to the purchase of a new one for Chestfield.

 

 

Sheet 1735

 

Cllr. King reported that he had spoken to the Chestfield volunteers and they had said that the camera had had an immense effect in the reduction of speeding motorists.

He has secured nine volunteers at Blean already and offered to set up the duty rota.

All Cllrs. present Agreed to the purchase if it was available.

7.10 For Discussion: Wi-Fi access in Hall:

The Parish Council has explored the possibility of extending the WiFi access into the Hall for the benefit of the community and has obtained a quote from an I.T. company This would involve a new router and cabling. It was thought that this would be a good idea to enable the Hall to run Silver-Surfing classes and maybe Skype being used at the Dementia lunches.

The company offered a monitoring service at a cost of £45.00 per year.

BVHMC would be willing to contribute. It was agreed to get at least another two quotes.

7.11 For Discussion: Purchase or not of Defibrillator following Public meeting:

Following the public meeting, which, unfortunately, was poorly attended, the proposal has been made about whether a defibrillator should be purchased for the village or not. Cllr. King, who had attended, spoke of his concerns prior to the presentation but had learnt a lot and now felt happy to support the proposal.

Following a discussion a proposal was made to purchase an automatic defibrillator and cabinet.

Proposed by Cllr. Flack, Seconded by Cllr. Hutt, Cllr. Leetham abstained and all other Cllrs. present Agreed.

 

8. Councillors’ Reports
8.1 Cllr. Dunster  reported that the pavement at Hillside Paddock is still overgrown with brambles. This has been reported to KHS who are checking the Land Registry for ownership. She also reported that the pavement is cracked all the way down Blean Hill.

8.2 Cllr. King reported that he will not be able to attend the Community Engagement meeting on 25th November. Cllr. Flack will attend.

Cllr. King also reported that Miss Finch from Woodlands had conveyed her thanks for the Parish Council’s involvement in supporting the objection to the planning application at Honey Hill Farm.

Audrey Kelk had reported to him that CB8 stile is in a bad condition again.

The Police contact van which visits the village fortnightly is a good presence.

The new PCSO, Mollie Proctor, has been doing patrols of the village and attended the Tyler Hill lunch club last Wednesday. Her area is now Tyler Hill, Blean and the University.

8.3 Cllr. Sturgeon had attended the Parish Seminar meeting on Friday morning and would report back at the next meeting. Documents would be given to Cllr. Flack.

8.4 Cllr. Leetham reported that Dockers Field Farm hedge had been cut well back by Kent Highways.

 

 

Sheet 1736

 

Honey Hill Farm application – he was pleased to see that the Planning Officer had taken notice of the concerns of the residents and the Parish Council. He commented that the barn conversion looked very good.

 

Due to the content of the next item for discussion the Chairman asked for Standing Orders to be set aside at 9.15pm.

All present Agreed.

 

8.5 Concurrent Funding 2015/2016: Cllr. Flack explained the three options given to Parish Councils for the Concurrent Funding for 2015/2016.

Blean Parish Council along with other Parish Councils had lodged a strong objection to the proposed dramatic cut in Concurrent Funding for 2015/2016.

We had been assured by Ward Cllr. Ben Fitter that the matter would be fully discussed at the R.A.M.P. meeting. The Parish Council agreed to wait for their decision before any further action is taken.

 

9. Approval for invoice payments and signing of cheques:

Chq. 002530 – Cutters – Peacock House hedge & roadside hedge            £320.00

Chq. 002531 – BVHMC – BPC Utility Bill portion                          £  13.59

Chq. 002532 – BVHMC – Hall rent – Nov 2014                                         £  26.00

Chq. 002533 – Mrs D Horswell =- Petty Cash July – Oct 2014                  £  19.17

Chq. 002534 – Meadow Grange – Plants,                                                    £  52.52

Chq. 002535 – Mr K Waddington – Handyman’s Wages Oct 2014            £124.80

Chq. 002536 – Mrs D Horswell – Clerks Salary Oct 2014                          £670.60         

Chq. 002537 – HMRC – PAYE & NIC Oct 2014                                         £  33.42

Chq. 002538 – Richard Meadows – re-imbursement for smoke alarm      £    5.49

 

DD – Serco – Waste Collection – Sept 2014                                                £  72.84

DD – Serco – Waste Collection – April 2014 remainder payment £  41.11

DD – Serco – Waste Collection – Oct 2014                                                  £  58.27

 

                                                                                    Total paid out             £1437.81

 

Paid in:

 

Bacs – BVHMC –  50% Waste Collection – Sept 2014                              £  30.35

Bacs – BVHMC – Flip Cart Bundle                                                  £  49.99

Bacs –  BVHMC – 50%  Waste Collection – April 2014 remainder payment £ 17.13

Bacs – BVHMC –  Serco – Waste Collection – Oct 2014                           £  24.28

 

Total paid in               £121.75

 

Bank Statement as at 23rd October 2014

Current Account – £2000

Business Reserve Account – £20,636.75

 

 

Sheet 1737

 

10. Planning Applications (as previously circulated)

The following applications had been received and circulated to all Cllrs. for comment.

1. CA/14/02036/FUL  – Demolition of existing bungalow and replacement with new two-storey dwelling – Hempshall Lodge, Honey Hill, Blean CT5 3BW – Blean Parish Council has no objections to this proposal. However, comments are made that it is a flood risk area and how will the neighbouring stream be affected by the cesspit and site run-off? Also, the traffic on Honey Hill /Pean Hill might be an issue. It was commented that the supporting documents were very difficult to read due to poor quality printing.

2. CA/14/02049/FUL – Erection of a single-storey side extension, demolition of existing conservatory and erection of a single-storey side extension, enlargement of existing dormer windows, tile hanging to existing two-storey projection at firdt floor level and replacement front boundary wall – Oak House, Pean Hill CT5 3BJ – No objection by BPC

3. CA/14/01930/FUL – Shed for storage of gardening tools – Blean Village Hall, 2 School Lane CT2 9JA – No objection by BPC

4. CA/14/01752/FUL – Extension to provide link to enlarge existing flat – 35-35 Tile Kiln Hill – in circulation

5. CA/14/02213/FUL – Proposed two-storey side extension – The Retreat, Pean Hill – in circulation

6. CA/14/02273/FUL – Proposed storage barn and change of use of land to residential cartilage land – Land to North of Lilac Cottage, Tyler Hill Road – Just received – in circulation

10.1 Decision Notices:

1. CA/14/01032/FUL – Development of an academic building for Kent Business

School, School of Maths, Statistics and Actuarial Science – UKC, Park Wood Road –

GRANTED

2. CA/14/01820/FUL – Erection of two semi-detached dwellings within the cartilage of

a listed building – Honey Hill Farm, 11 Honey Hill – REFUSED

 

Work to Trees in a Conservation Area

1. To reduce the crown as required to relieve the loading on lateral heavy limbs, including height reduction. 1-5 metres in height and spread to be determined when moving around the crown assessing the structural unions/strength as we go to large Ash tree on the side and rear boundary – The Sheilings, Chapel Lane, Blean.

Sheet 1738

2. Fell to ground level two Spruce trees situated in the rear garden on either side boundary – 46 Tile Kiln Hill, Blean.

 

11. Date of next meeting:

The date of the next meeting is 8th December at 7.30pm.

 

12 Any Other Business:

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.40pm.

 

 

 

Date     _______________                 Signature     ______________________________

 

 

 

NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH REPORT  NOVEMBER 2014

 

I am pleased to report that it has been a quiet period since my last report to council.   Predominantly the messages which I have received from Kent Police have been warnings about phone, letter and e mail scams,  together with warnings about taking on workers who cold call and offer to repair roof tiles or guttering.

 

 

      44 messages have been received in total,  apart from the above details,  the remainder have b and Boughton still are blackspots for garage and shed burglaries.een advisory notices about crimes in other parts of the county.   Nearby Dunkirk

 

G KING

NHW  BLEAN

 

 

 

 

Report from BVHMC to BPC meeting 8th November 2014 – Carol Sturgeon

 

Designation of disabled car parking places remains outstanding and on the committee’s agenda for marking out and yellow paint. The key is still needed for the car park barrier to lock it; the coded version will be fitted ASAP, both outstanding items were highlighted as a priority at BVHMC AGM held on 27th October in the hall.

 

Other issues discussed and agreed:

 

Fundraising profits for the next 2 years will be dedicated to small capital projects:

separate access for groups to reach the committee room as a priority project to rectify omission in original design and enable smoother running of the hall. 
needed to avoid disrupting other groups in session in the community space, as now, complaint received & regular user group has left for another venue:  current access/exit to the committee room is problematic as via the community space and foyer.
installation of permanent cleaner’s sink for dirty water generated from floor cleaning etc.,

re-jig internal layout in main hall to enable hall users to have direct access to main storeroom for furniture + equipment, without the need to use community space, (as now) and disturb other user’s sessions.
new curtains (in stages) throughout hall
industrial dish washer for main kitchen
Karcher industrial floor cleaner/drier
Repayment of £5,000 loan for Phase 1 overspend – was made in October 2014.
Repayment of £10,000 loan for Phase 1 overspend – ring fenced to be made in 2015.
2013-14’s accounts have been submitted to the Hon auditor.
BVHMC’s members are all willing to continue to serve as Trustees.

 

The fund raising thermometer has been removed until BVHMC and Raise the Roof volunteers are in a position to focus on fundraising for Phase 2 capital project. Emphasis and inclusive social events in 2015-2016 will be dedicated to the idea of us having fun together as a community.  Money raised and donations received will be re-invested in the hall fabric, to benefit everyone who uses the hall.

 

Monthly coffee mornings, lunches, sales of home produced goods and products continue to be very popular and very well supported. The hall is a popular venue for people to meet regularly, talk together, promote other groups and generate common interest in Blean, with the Heritage Museum open for visitors as an added bonus.

 

The next event is the Christmas Fair on Sat 15th November 10am-3pm in the hall

Stall holders represent other local charities, interest groups and the wider community, so please come along and support them and the hall.

 

The next coffee morning event is: Sat 29th November 10am – 1pm.

 

A regular community based weekday lunch club, is also desirable to meet the need, alleviate loneliness and isolation for all abilities, needs and ages in the village.  We’d like to encourage other community minded groups to collaborate together, organise and host it.  Guidance is offered to those who wish to cook regarding the extractor system and operation of the range cooker.

 

BVHMC will purchase essential cooking utensils, trays and other fundamental equipment for the main kitchen ASAP, as costs have been ring fenced in our budget.

 

That concludes my report.

 

Carol Sturgeon 07.11.2014.

 

 

 

Chairman’s Update Report and Background Information for the meeting.

 

Following the correspondence from Mr Bentley, I have walked the full length of Blean Common and look at various sections.  I have also contacted Mr Bentley and have found out from him the areas that he as a resident thinks could be prioritised.  We are now in the process of arranging with Cllr Simmonds and Mr Ryan Shields a site visit, I will inform you all of date and time when it is available.

 

The effect of the A2 closure has appeared to have balanced out with the introduction of the further signage.  There is still an increase in traffic within the village particularly on a Saturday.

 

 

A public meeting was held on 30th October about an automatic defibrillator.  Although the meeting was poorly attended, those who did attend came away feeling positive about the safety of, and the ease of use.  We need to discuss this matter at our meeting as to whether to purchase and to the possible siting.

 

Following the accident on Friday 31st October, we arranged with Kent Highways for the damaged post and railing to be taken away and the remaining rail made safe.  Thank you to Marie Lambkin and Denise for arranging this work which was carried out on the Monday.

BACKGROUND to AGENDA ITEMS

Item 7.8 Extension of the Wittersham Cluster Pilot Scheme into East Kent

I have asked Denise to circulate the background information about the ‘Cluster’.  Cllr Ray Evison of Hackington Parish Council has asked us as to whether we would consider being part of the scheme. There would a number of issues to discuss and decide, but at the moment it is the principle that we will be looking at.  KCC are looking at a pilot scheme in East Kent, there is funding at the level of £8,000 for the first year with a negotiated amount for following years.

Item 7.9 Purchase of 2nd hand Speedwatch Device

Contact has been made with Chestfield Parish Council following a conversation Cllr King had with a resident of Chestfield.  CPC are considering buying a new speedwatch camera and are proposing to offer the present camera, which is 4years old plus the interactive signs for sale at a probable cost of £450. They are meeting the same night as us.  Cllr King has mooted the idea to some of his street wardens in NHW and we have 8 persons interested to participating if we can and do go ahead with this idea. Denise and I have spoken with the Chairman and Clerk of CPC and found out further information which we will pass on at the meeting.

Lastly the following item was received too late to include in our agenda but does warrant our urgent discussion.  Therefore I hope my fellow councillors will not object if I raise this under item 8 Councillors Report.

CONCURRENT FUNDING – FURTHER CUTS.

I have asked Denise to send out with my report the papers relating to this matter which is to be decided on Monday evening at the RAMP meeting.  I am very concerned about potential further reduction in these essential monies.  Concurrent funding is used for the area such as grass cutting, litter picking, Ken’s wages as a village handyman, hedge cutting and our Public Liability Insurance.  In the last four years the amount of Concurrent Funding received has been annually reduced – the shortfall being made up from our Precept funding.

Concurrent Funding is for core functions that Parish Councils have taken on and carry out, instead of being directly carried out by CCC. We are in essence ‘sub contactors’ of CCC who are not being paid in full for our work.  With the continuing cuts, consideration will have to be given to raising the Precept by a large amount to safeguard our ability to provide these services to the village.  The residents of Blean along with many other villages have become the victims of double taxation which in my opinion is an unacceptable situation.   Please read the papers as we need to seriously consider our way forward.

Our next meeting is going to be a busy one, so I would ask you to give thought to all the matters on our agenda before we gather together to make important decisions on behalf of the residents of Blean.

Thank you

BARBARA ANNE FLACK,