Minutes – 10th March 2014

                                                                                                                      

Sheet 1694

Minutes of Blean Parish Council Meeting held at the Village Hall, School Lane, Blean on Monday 10th March 2014

 

Those Present:    Cllrs: W. Leetham (Chairman); B. Flack (Vice-Chairman);

G King; C. Dunster; C. Sturgeon; P. Hutt.

 

Also present: Ward Cllr. J. Gilbey; County Cllr. J. Simmonds and three members of the public.

 

1. Apologies for absence:  – Cllr. H. Samuelson; family illness

Ward Cllr. B. Fitter; work commitments

 

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and explained the fire drill, fire exits and location of the toilets.

 

2. Changes to Register of Declarations of Interest and DPI in Matters to be discussed.

1. Cllr. Sturgeon and Cllr. King declared an interest as Village Hall Management Committee members in agenda items 8.10 and 8.11.

Cllr. Flack also declared an interest in agenda item 8.10 as Secretary of Friends of Blean Church.

 

3. Matters raised by the public

3.1 Mrs Audrey Kelk raised the matter of CB8 again which has trees down and a damaged stile.

3.2 Mrs H Letts raised the matter of a tree fallen on Byway 27 and an Oak tree fallen on CB12A.

 

Cllr. Leetham reported that the pathway leading from Whitstable Road to the University car park had been cleared.

 

4. Reports from Ward and County Councillors

4.1 Ward Cllr. Gilbey gave a report on the following matters:

Local Plan
Local Enterprise
By-election in Barham this week
Parish Charter

 

5. Approval of the Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 10th February 2014

The minutes of the 10th February meeting were approved and accepted as a true record of the meeting.

Proposed by Cllr. Sturgeon, seconded by Cllr. Hutt and all Cllrs. present AGREED.

Matters arising

5.1 ref 7 – BVHMC report – Car park – Cllr. Sturgeon said that BVHMC have to take responsibility for the locking of the gate. It has been agreed that clubs will lock

Sheet 1695

the gate if there are no cars left in there but if a car is left then a member of BVHMC will lock the gate later in the day. The responsibility cannot lie with the clubs. Three carefully worded signs are being prepared.

 

County Cllr. John Simmonds entered the meeting at 7.50pm.

 

4.2 County Cllr. Report

Cllr. Simmonds gave his report which included:

Potholes update
Drainage clearance
Joint meeting that KCC and CCC are to have with MPs
People with learning difficulties

 

6. N.H.W. Report

Cllr. King reported that the compound containing vehicles and equipment belonging to Goodfellers Tree Surgeons was broken into between 28th February and 3rd March. A vehicle and specialist equipment was stolen, including climbing equipment and other items.

Residents have received calls from an alleged police officer, claiming that he is investigating a crime with the perpetrator having in his possession credit cards in the name of the resident. This is an attempted fraud. Anyone receiving such a call should ask for the Crime reference number, the Officer’s name and then hang up. Pass details onto Kent Police on 101.

Cllr. King has re-established contact with the local PCSO who is unable to attend the meeting but has recently visited the pre-school to talk about safety issues.

39 messages have been received from Kent Police since the last report and have been promulgated through the usual networks, including the Parish Council website.

Ample funds are available to continue the work of the scheme.

 

7. Village Hall Report

Cllr. Sturgeon gave a report on the Village Hall (attached to these minutes).

 

8. Matters Arising including:

8.1 Public Paths & Rights of Way

Nothing further to report.

8.2 Recreation Ground inc. play equipment

Cllr. Flack reported that she has been invited by Viridor to apply for a grant for play equipment. In order to do this the Parish Council needs to look at its finances to contribute an amount also.

8.3 Site of bench in memory of Hazel McCabe

The base has been laid and a discussion was had on the building up of the ground around the base.

8. Parish Plan – ‘Terms of Reference’ for committee to be approved

The first meeting of the Parish Plan committee will be on 19th March. There are ten members on the committee and the clerk will attend to take the minutes. The ‘Terms of Reference’ for the committee have been circulated to the members of the Parish Council for approval and adoption. All agreed.

Sheet 1696

8.6 Highway Issues

Cllr. Dunster and Cllr. King (declared an interest as it is outside his back driveway onto the A290) reported that there were potholes on both sides of the road by the bus stops on the A290. Clerk to report them on KCC website.

8.6. Kevro Properties Correspondence

There has still been no response to the letters sent by the Parish Council. A Health and Safety survey has been carried out to identify the risks on the garage area behind the shops.

Cllr. Flack intends to write to Kevro Properties and enclose a copy of the report. They will be asked to respond within seven days. Copies to go to the Ward Councillors.

 

County Cllr. Simmonds left the meeting at 8.25pm.

 

8.7 Parking on Tile Kiln Hill

This problem continues but it was commented that it was the same as every school in the country.

8.8 Notice Board at the School

It has been suggested that if a noticeboard is put up at the school then the Parish Council should be responsible for it.

Cllr. Flack suggested that a contingency fund could be set up with every club who uses the noticeboard contributing a small amount per annum for maintenance. It was decided to defer the matter until the next meeting.

8.9 Barton Court Grammar School Consultation

It was agreed that the response from the Parish Council should be that it was not in the interests of Blean children to move Barton Court school to Herne Bay.

8.10 South and South East in Bloom

Cllr. Sturgeon reported that an invitation has been made to BVHMC to enter the free competition. She is asking Friends of Blean Church and Blean Parish Council to be involved as well. Also the John Graham Centre. Cllr. Flack said that Audrey Swain had suggested planting a poppy carpet.

Cllr. Flack reported that two large wooden planters have been donated by an anonymous donor to be put on the old recycling area. Ken has been asked and agreed to plant them up and tend them.

User groups will put baskets around the outside of the hall as last year.

8.11 Permission for BVHMC to put ‘Fire Assembly Point’ sign on the slide for Pre-school

Permission was asked and granted to BVHMC to put up the sign for Blean Pre-school as it was to be a fire assembly point for the children.

 

It was noted that the sign for the recreation ground has been put up by the old recycling area.

 

9. Councillors’ Reports
9.1 Cllr. King reported that buses are waiting in pairs at the bus stop near 39 Blean Common. This is causing a tailback of vehicles back to Mount Pleasant.

The clerk to write to Stagecoach to remind them that buses are meant to use their ‘waiting time’ at Rough Common.

Sheet 1697

9.2 Cllr. Leetham reminded the meeting that the Parish Council is still two members short.

9.3 Cllr. Dunster reported that the Canterbury directional sign on A290 has disappeared. Clerk to report to KCC.

 

10. Correspondence

No postal correspondence this month only emails which have been circulated to all members.

                                                                                  

11. Planning Applications

The following applications have been received and circulated to all Cllrs. for comment.

No objections by the Parish Council to either 10 Mount Pleasant or 2 Tile Kiln Hill

planning applications.

1. CA/14/00089/ADV – Display of 2 No. internally illuminated fascia signs

(Retrospective application) – Woody’s Bar, UKC, Park Wood Road – in circulation

2. CA/14/00418/FUL – Proposed rear extension to form a garden room with front

porch and minor internal alterations – Courtney Lodge, Chapel Lane – in circulation

 

Decision Notices – None

 

Tree Notices –

Felling a tree covered by TPO No 26 1990 WI – 3 Woodville

 

12. Approval for invoice payments and signing of cheques

Banking details for December 2013

Chq. 002449 – A M Designs – final payment for bench                            £750.00

Chq. 002450 –            Casement Signs – Recreation Ground sign                        £  66.00

Chq. 002451 – Mr K Waddington – Handyman’s Wages Feb 2014         £121.47

Chq. 002452 – HMRC – PAYE & NIC Feb 2014                                      £  37.50

Chq. 002453 – Mrs D Horswell – Petty Cash Feb 2014                             £  16.59

Chq. 002454 – BVHMC – Feb Hall Hire                                                    £  11.00         

Chq. 002455– ACRK – Annual joint Membership with BVHMC           £  65.00

Chq. 002456 – Mrs D Horswell – Clerks Salary Feb 2014                         £668.56

Chq. 002457 – Cutters Garden Services – Hedge Cut                               £170.00

DD – Serco – Waste Collection for Jan 2014                                              £  13.70

 

Total paid out            £1919.82

Paid in

BVHMC – 50% annual membership for ACRK                                       £  32.50

 

Total paid in              £  32.50

          

Bank Statement as at 24th February 2014

Current Account – £2000

Business Reserve Account – £14,683.57

(Interest bearing account used to feed Current Account, when needed, to maintain a balance of £2000)

 

Sheet 1698

 

13. Date of next meeting

Date of next meeting is the Annual Parish Assembly followed by the Parish Council meeting on 14th April.

 

14 Any Other Business

14.1 Cllr. King said that a baby’s gas mask from WW2 has been donated to the museum.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.53pm.

 

 

Date     _______________                 Signature     ______________________________

 

 

 

 

Report from BVHMC to BPC meeting 10th March 2014 – Carol Sturgeon

 

The builder completed the outstanding snagging this month and all that remains is a visit from the fire officer and a final signing off by CCC building inspector. Groundwork to external areas at rear  to level and grass seed will be undertaken ASAP though levelling may be delayed due to water logged heavy clay. Designation of disabled car parking places, rear car park x 1 and front of hall x 2, marking out and yellow paint, will be completed when weather permits.

 

A new draft hall letting agreement and single form information sheet is currently awaiting completion and will be adopted for use ASAP.  Guidance notes as hard copies will be retained in the hall for user information and use.  Simple instructions on the use of the microwave have been produced and laminated and can be found in the main kitchen.

 

New rent charges will start on 1st April 2014 and the Hall Liaison Officers will call a meeting for hall user reps and groups to meet with them this month and offer further information. Briefly:  1st April 2014 the new charging structure will be:

Regular user rent will rise by 50p per hour on 1st April and again by 50p on 1st September = £6.50 per hour which is comparable, fair and competitive to similar local hall charges.

 

A structure of rates and charges for local, private and business hires for single and/or combination of hall spaces let was agreed, and a public notice will be displayed in the hall and on the website ASAP for information.  All new bookings received from 3rd February charged at the new rate.

 

The bleanvillagehall.co.uk website continues to be updated and refreshed by the techie team of 3 volunteers to sharpen it up and make it interactive, user friendly with Google booking calendar, 360o tour around the hall, what’s on guide, direct links to Pre-School, Blean Church and FOBC.  The history of the hall, museum, + past and present events & current news are also featured.

 

Outstanding and major issues of purchasing a cooker and ventilation system for the main kitchen, is ongoing. The volunteers together with the Invicta Fellowship group members decided to set a date Saturday 12th April 12 – 2pm to launch a Dementia Awareness lunch to avoid delay, as mentioned in last month’s report, to meet the needs of those who have experience of, suffer from or care for someone with dementia.  The aim of this lunch club is to offer peer group support, respite, and a nice lunch in good company with friendly people who truly understand the impact dementia has on many people’s lives.

 

The volunteers will use slow cookers to cook and will offer a hot main course and pudding to all.  This isn’t a fund raising or profit making event, the cost of the food only will be met by personal donation or a small fixed charge for the lunch, according to individual circumstances.

 

The poster and information has been linked and shared with the following organisations: sharedlives@kent.gov.uk, Whitstable and Canterbury Age UK and Umbrella groups and other locally based and interested parties.

 

If successful this will be held on a regular and Saturday basis. We also aim to extend this service to a separate weekday lunch club for others of all abilities, needs and ages in the village, in the future.  We truly appreciate the offers of help from other groups and volunteers to enable us to cater for and benefit a wider range of people.

 

The grant application to KCF for the cost of the Falcon range cooker remains ongoing and has gone to their panel for decision.

A personal pledge for £1000 has been made and 3 x donations to the value of £340 have been received so far, by BVHMC towards the cost of the capital items needed for the main kitchen, further progress will be reported, when known.

 

The main kitchen continues to be equipped over time and recently a 50 piece and range of fine crockery, cutlery, glasses, was generously donated to the hall to service “special occasions” which is greatly appreciated.  Cooking utensils and other essential equipment to ensure that the kitchen can function and cater for large numbers when we have a cooker has also been purchased and received.

 

BVHMC’s 2012-13 annual accounts signed off were registered on the Charity Commission website on 26th February 2014 + TAR.

 

Social events update:

An Evening in Vienna with authentic live Viennese waltzes and music was wonderful – 60 tickets sold out – a hugely enjoyable and successful evening with fantastic food, waltzing and ambience.

Feb = coffee morning, museum open, book stall, children’s table, + Parish plan walkabout + Active Age survey with freshly made lunches offered, was very popular and very busy.

Sat 1st March – Annual barn dance Blean School Hall – with Deal Hoodeners’ Ceilidh Band hosting over 70 people who just wanted to dance and have a good time.

Sunday 2nd March – Pyjamas and pancake party – 2pm – 4pm in the hall for 45 children (+parents) with pancake games, races + the eating of 150 pancakes was a brilliant experience for all –  thankfully no one was sick in the hall!

 

Next event is our Raise the Roof Spring Fair on Saturday 29th March with local crafts people showing and selling their goods, FOBC and Pre-School will also be represented and have taken tables.  An Easter basket making and biscuit making workshop is offered for the children – booking essential.  Lovely lunches and the usual home-made cakes and goodies available, + the museum will be open to visitors.

 

BVHMC, in collaboration with FOBC and BPC entered the S&SEiB competition to celebrate their 50th anniversary in their It’s my Neighbourhood category – plans are afoot to make as much of Blean as possible to bloom so please support this lovely project as judging will take place from end of June – mid July.

 

That concludes my report.

10th March 2014.

 

 

.